NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:02 am 

i have a 160gig sata drive - the first 10gig or so reports errors when i try to format in windows - but the rest is fine - on windows i can partition it and use the good bit

its a while since i formatted a drive in naslite bit i think it just starts at the beginning and formats the whole drive

is there any way round that as i would like to use this drive in a low power system - its a 2.5" drive out of a laptop so ideal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:56 am 

Try this to re-initialize the drive: http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm
(There are more complicated quicker ways ... but that's the simplest I can think of ...)
Naturally all contents get wiped out ! But I assume you won't care.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:18 pm 

thanks georg - tried it and it wrote to all the disc but still gave problems formatting until i partitioned the first 10gig off

guess its not going to work in naslite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:58 pm 

Interesting problem. I am wondering if there are hard errors on the disk or a hidden partition scheme ... Did it come out of a laptop ? What laptop manufacturer ?

Something else to try: download a diagnostic ISO from the disk manufacturer (who is it?) and scan the disk for errors so the bad sectors get marked properly ... then try again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:42 am 

hi georg - i am coming to the conclusion its hard errors - its a sata fujitsu drive and yes its out of a laptop - the software from fuji is as old as the hills - the check program tells me the disk has faults - the wipe program will not even see the drive - not surprising as it was written in 1999

all formatting has been tried in xp - am going to try windows 7 which seems more powerful - i think i need to lock off the first 20gig or so - thats possible in windows and i assume linux - but [i think] naslite just starts at the beginning of the drive and goes from there

will have to try it on naslite - not done that yet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:14 pm 

Toshiba has taken over Fujitsu HDDs ... try either the 1.12 Windows version or 7.0 DOS version (says it requires a boot disk ... not sure if they mean CD or Floppy) from here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=S ... eUtilities

EDIT: I just read the TXT file for the DOS version; original program is from 1999, but v7.0 is April 2007. Still it says limited to IDE drives (contradicting what it says on the web page), but you need to do a DOS boot (KillDisk does that, then you could swap in the FJDT.EXE from another CD in case you don't have floppy anymore).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:48 pm 

been there done that georg - thanks - killdisk and ubuntu may just have done the trick - windows in any form would not format the drive but ubuntu did

have now got it on a naslite system and that also formatted it

not copied anything to it yet - but there is progress

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

Make sure you run check and repair with bad blocks enabled. If there are bad areas on the drive, this will mark them as such so they are not used to store data.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:21 pm 

thanks Tony - is that from within Naslite - option 6 in the drive menu - have never needed to run that on a drive so did not know what it could/would do

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:17 am 

Yes, unmount the hard drive (option 1 in Disk-x configuration menu) then reboot . Start an option 6 (Check and Repair Disk-2 Filesystem) and when it askes you if you want to do a bad block check, answer yes).

Watch the results.

Regards

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:33 am 

thanks - at the moment it seems to be fine after ubuntu sorted it - tempted to leave well alone - but will bear the full checkdisc in mind for later

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:37 am 

tony a: It's more than just a CHECK or format ... it actually runs every sector and tags and indexes any potentially bad ones, so that data is not placed there in the future (leading to data loss) ... highly recommended, especially on a disk that has already acted up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:28 pm 

thanks georg - will do that