NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: full duplex
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:41 pm 

Hi,

The transfer speed of my system is completely disappointing and I am currently checking what can be the root cause (see Bad performance threat in the M2 section).

One thing is maybe a wrong or suboptimal configuration of the network adapter.
My NIC is an old 3C905B-TX

Now, how can I determine the connection settings of this adapter?
Is it set to 10 or 100Mbit/s?
Does is use full or half duplex?

I cannot find these information in the syslog. Just:

00:10.0: 3Com PCI 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0xe800. Vers LK1.1.18

Is there a possibility to check my current settings? Maybe I'm just blind :lol:
Is there a possibility to change those settings?

Post subject: Re: full duplex
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:39 pm 

If you go to the admin screen> 'T' tools & utilities> '9' network configuration. It shows all the settings.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:39 am 

willsy wrote:
If you go to the admin screen> 'T' tools & utilities> '9' network configuration. It shows all the settings.

yes, I did this, but there is no hint about full or half duplex nor the connection speed 10 or 100.
At least I do not recognize it.

The first page in "T" & network configuration is empty. Does it mean anything? The info is on the second screen only.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:09 am 

Do you have any IRQ conflicts? I'm not sure, but i think when i was having problems the NIC information was either missing or garbled.
Have you tried Diskwriggler to get a more accurate transfer rate?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:33 am 

willsy wrote:
Do you have any IRQ conflicts? I'm not sure, but i think when i was having problems the NIC information was either missing or garbled.
Have you tried Diskwriggler to get a more accurate transfer rate?

no IRQ conflicts. The NIC is on IRQ 11. Nothing else on 11.

Diskwriggler is Linux, right? Unfortunately, I do not have a Linux system for testing.
But I think it is not necessary at this stage. The transfer rate is simply slow <400kByte/s ... no benchmark tool will be able to improve that :) Once I recognize that every 3MB-jpg is copied within more or less 1sec instead of 10sec I'll be happy with this kind of personal benchmark :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:43 am 

Goto the IP of your server.

Select Status

Select htm

Select network

Look at the bottom of the page for the info. The 3C905TX is a rocking and reliable card. You should be getting at least 8-9MB/sec from it. My guess is that you may have an IRQ conflict with the drive interface and another device.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:09 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
Goto the IP of your server.
Select Status
Select htm
Select network
Look at the bottom of the page for the info.

I'll have a look when I get that crap up again :evil:

mikeiver1 wrote:
The 3C905TX is a rocking and reliable card. You should be getting at least 8-9MB/sec from it. My guess is that you may have an IRQ conflict with the drive interface and another device.

Thanks for the info about the 905. :) Tomorrow I'd have bought a new Intel Pro1000... but now, I think I'll give the IRQs another chance.
Is there a possibility to check the interrupts somehow?
The only info I see is during boot. That table contains 4 or 5 devices with IRQ information. But, as mentioned before, there I do not see any conflict. The NIC is the only device with the number 11. Apart from that I'm a little helpless regarding the BIOS. I don't see here how to change IRQs. I just can disable several devices like COM and LPT which I do not need.
Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:23 pm 

The Intel gigabit card is a rocking NIC too, given the option of the 905 or the 1000 I'd opt for the Intel. That said, a little more info about the MB you are using I think is in order. Who and what is it? As has been related in other threads to you by others, cables can be at the core of problems like you are experiencing. You have t make extra sure that the cables are good. Also, issues due arise from time to time between drives of different makers. If at all possible try and use drives from the same manufacturer or at least put them on the same interface. If you are using older drives, by older I mean 5+ years you may want to upgrade. The newer drives will provide 10 times the storage and use half the energy. The added extra is that you also have a NEW drive that after burn in is less likely to let the smoke out and take your data with it.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:47 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
... If at all possible try and use drives from the same manufacturer or at least put them on the same interface. ...

Currently, I have a 320GB WD and a 250 GB Samsung in the system. The old drives went out due to the DMA error. I just will put them in again later for backing up the data then remove them again.
So, the WD and the Samsung are master on ide0 and ide1 at the moment.
Did I get you right that you would recommend to put them as master/slave on e.g. ide0?
Why is that?
I thought, putting them on different ports would speed up everything. Is that wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:35 pm 

The optimal setup is to have them each on a separate ATA channel, the way you have them now.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:19 am 

As written in the "bad performance" threat: I am back to my old system. Most of the problems seem to be solved. Including the duplex-question:

Oct 16 09:12:53 [2] eth0: Setting full-duplex based on MII #24 link partner capability of 01e1.

Solution was to switch the NIC to a different slot.

Thx to all :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:59 am 

I have a problem with 11.11 and getting my K570 to go to full duplex. I searched the this problem on google and found a message about this problem on 11.00. If in SAM, the Half duplex area is greyed out, then i will have to install the patches again. What are the patches for 11.11? Do we have to swremove the fibre software and reinstall it. Reply me.