NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:20 am 

OK, apart from some strange or incomprehensible lines in the Syslog, the NAS is running beautifully with the two 3-Ware 8006-2LP SATA RAID controllers. No IRQ conflicts. Though I did not measure transfer speeds, the system is fast.

Because of a freak incident (the Intel 775 socket heatsink somehow got loose, and rebooting terminated because of overheating) I became curious how my four drives are doing, in terms of wear and temperature.

NASLite 2 is using smartmontools for SMART, and according to http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/docs/raid-controller_support.html 3-Ware controllers are supported. Still, the SMART option in the storage menu is unavailable. Will this issue be solved with 2.6?

And since I am asking questions about monitoring my NAS, I would like to know how NASLite deals with the ACPI? The System Status page shows the availability of the Powerbutton, but fan state, cooling mode, thermal state and CPU temp are unavailable.

My system is posted on: http://www.serverelements.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=11436#p11436

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hello PieterB,

The RAID drives themselves are not entities NASLite-2 recognizes. All the NASLite-2 logic is aware of is the volume which happens to be a logical drive. Past that point, a logical drive has no SMART capability. Alternately, if the volume is a physical drive, then SMART status is exported.

ACPI support on different boards is very inconsistent from the standpoint of standards and standards compliance. We have rebuilt the ACPI logic to provide better and more meaningful feedback, but there are still many boards that provide little or no details. A screen cap of what things look like in 2.6 is below.
Attachment:
File comment: ACPI details in NASLite-2 v2.6
NL26T.jpg
NL26T.jpg [ 31.2 KiB | Viewed 10322 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:56 am 

Tony wrote:
All the NASLite-2 logic is aware of is the volume which happens to be a logical drive. Past that point, a logical drive has no SMART capability

But how is smartmontools implemented in NASLite? They (http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/Team) say on http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/docs/raid-controller_support.html:

Checking disks behind RAID controllers

RAID controllers typically simulate a (logical) disk for each array of (physical) disks to the OS. Access to SMART functionality relies on ATA or SCSI pass through I/O controls providing direct access to each physical disk. But the standard I/O controls available are usually not designed to make this distinction between logical and physical disks. Therefore, smartmontools has to use vendor specific I/O controls. Support for disks behind RAID controllers is highly dependent on both platform and controller type.

3ware SATA RAID controller -d 3ware,N [directive] Yes, supported in Linux [1]

Notes:
1. 3ware RAID controllers are supported on Linux since smartmontools release 5.1-18. Support for char devices /dev/tw* was added in release 5.33.

Wouldn't is be wonderful to be able to check the disks behind a controller?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Wouldn't is be wonderful to be able to check the disks behind a controller?

Yes, but this *only* works as far as i can tell with some 3ware raid cards, every LSI card i have does not support this.
At this point applying the 3ware option may have unexpected results on a card that doesn't support it.

Currently NASLite does monitor the raid array state and will error if the raid degrades. I'll keep this in mind for v3.0 and see if it's possible to implement in safe way.

Thanks.