NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SCSI connections
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:06 am 

Mike - I have just about given up with the Adaptec 2094, and dug out a Domex 3194 UP Ultra SCSI full-size card 3194-005A1200961. This shows a BIOS splash screen on startup and seems much more amenable. I have the XP drivers. The card has DIL switches jp1-4. Could I prevail upon you to see whether your archives include any data for this card; I drew no luck on the Domex site http://www.domex.com.tw/support/...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:47 am 

Hi Mike again!

DMX identifies HP 4P well with BIOS splash. On default settings Scan Bus correctly displays model and ID.

However on attempting to scan, the interface stalls. I'll attempt to include screen shot below:-
Image.
(http://www.jjpconsulting.webs.com/)
I am not sure how best to set BIOS parameters and whether any of the jumper pins should be connected. Have you used the Domex? Thanks for your patience! Jeffjohn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:31 pm 

Start first by pushing the BIOS to the default settings.

As far as the card you have I would have nothing on them , sorry. I turned up not much at all on the internet.

I only use name brand, well supported and documented cards by the major manufacturers. As a general rule I prefer to use the enterprise class hardware at that. Again though, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you trash them all in favor of an Adaptec 2940 card. This will eliminate all issues you may have. There are tons of information out there for them all over the internet and they have native drivers in XP if memory serves.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:46 am 

Ok Mike. Enough angst on this; and thanks to you and Tony for sharing my frustrations. I'll look out for a 2940. It has been very gratifying to be able to discuss these matters with you and Tony - I really am most grateful and have learnt a lot. Time for closure and back to more NL related matters. When I have resolved things I'll let you know on here. Thanks jeffjohn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:08 pm 

That is what this part of the forums are for. I don't think that Tony or Ralph are the least bit annoyed about it being used in this way. Any traffic in their forums is good advertisement for the product.

As far as SCSI information, I have not even begun to scratch the surface, just a few starting points to maybe push you in the right direction.

Go to Ebay for a 2940 card. There are quite a few there, allot over priced, but more than enough to get one for around $20.00 USD to your door. If not then message me and I will send you one for that, maybe a bit more if you are in Europe.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:02 am 

Many thanks mike - you really are a gent! (A 'brick' as the Brits might say!). Found and bought a AHA-2940 AU on ebay for £9.99 +3.00 p&p so well worth a try......delivery Monday. jeffjohn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:47 am 

Well mike, it is still frustrating me. Installed the 2940 and get the ^A BIOS splash ok. XP and linux correctly identify the HP 4P C1130A scanner and the 2940 and attempt a scan. XP freezes whereas linux reports I/O fault on setup, which is at least more helpful. At the mo. BIOS is all set to standard and I see there are loads of caveats about non-auto start up. Could you suggest a few starters. The scanner responds to the SCAN command and advances a cm. or two then stalls. On XP terminally, on Linux with I/O error msg. thanks jeffjohn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:10 am 

can i come back to something i suggested earlier - put 2000 on a drive and see what happens from there - you said it worked perfectly on 2000 - if it does again then you have ruled out at least 3 things - the scanner - the interface card and the cable - and maybe the software - although the hp sofftware works out of the box in 2000 and needs the update for xp so that complicates things a little

and where are you in the uk - if you are near i will give you a 4c if you prove the scanner is faulty - answer that by pm if you dont want to post it on here

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:13 pm 

Hi Tony - I am South of Salisbury. Sent you a pm but can't see evidence that it went!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:55 pm 

fair way - i'm in bradford - so thats not an easy option - nearer than mike - thats about all

can you try the 2000 route - that is/was said to work

a stupid thought as i type this - the carriage lock on the scanner is not on i take it - that would stop the head moving - has fooled me more than once

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:22 pm 

tony a wrote:
fair way - i'm in bradford - so thats not an easy option - nearer than mike - thats about all

can you try the 2000 route - that is/was said to work

a stupid thought as i type this - the carriage lock on the scanner is not on i take it - that would stop the head moving - has fooled me more than once

LOL!!!

A carriage lock that is partially engaged could cause the problems you are having. Another thing to try is a live Linux Ubuntu DVD, it is fairly well supported and built.

I am with Tony on this one though, if you can, load 2000 and see if it flies.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:23 am 

mike and tony! the fault has finally made itself apparent!!!! hot toasty smell in the office this bright morning - not an early breakfast but the 'late' scanner!

psu area hot to the touch............obviously an incipient failure such as blown electrolytic has now materialised. HP 4P on its way to the tip. I'm off to Fr now till dec so shall have a look around then, or perhaps take tony up on his offer! needless to say I shall still be on the forum though.

thanks greatly for all the wise advice and patience! jeffjohn