NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:50 am 

The PCI slot which has a Nat. Semi. DP83820. This PCI slot shares the same IRQ as the Onboard HPT372 Raid card, USB controller and multimedia adaptor (According to the bios, however there is no multimedia adaptor I can find!!). So as soon as I put a HDD on the HPT372 the throughput drops through the floor. PIRQ_1 or INTB is the IRQ in question.

The only way I can think of of defeating this issue is to hardwire the riser so as to swap PIRQ_1 to PIRQ_0. Any other thoughts?

Cant update the bios since OEM board and Abit deny it exists.

Cant turn off ACPI, no option in th bios.

Cant put the Gigabit card in another slot as there is only 1 slot.

Oh and btw PIRQ_0 is unused.......at least according to the bios and as far as I can tell. Plus it is a blinking Intel MB so they have 8 IRQs to assign.....rather than the usual 4.

If anyone has any interest

PIRQ_0 = INTA = AGP (Although this seems to get assigned IRQ5 and can be disabled in the bios).
PIRQ_1 = INTB = HPT372, PCI SLOT, USB and the aforementioned multimedia adapter.
PIRQ_2 = INTC = Intel Pro10/100 on board. No disable option in the bios.
PIRQ_3 = INTD = Intel Pro10/100 on board. No disable option in the bios.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:59 pm 

My advice is that you abandon the device and get a normal MB. You have to much going against you to make that work well. Some of these appliances are a total kludge of parts and poorly implemented in both hardware and firmware/software. Most didn't even work well out of the box let alone after being re-purposed.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:57 pm 

Gave up trying to get the GB card working with the box. Intel embedded 10/100 nic works faultlessly and is fast enough for my current needs. Copying from my windows box it is chundering along at 9meg a sec. Disks are all a nice 35 C and CPU about the same.

I'll have one more try tomorrow when the dual sata bridge boards arrive to see if they can fix the issue and allow the GigBit NIC to work without IRQ issues with the HPT disabled.

Is there a way to stop naslite from initializing the onboard USB, this also sits on the same IRQ as the Gigabit card in the PCI slot, there is an option to not assign an IRQ for USB in the bios, I'm hoping this will be enough to free the IRQ. If not we'll have to live with the 100Mb nic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:18 am 

As suspected yesterday, the HPT372 owns IDE 1 master device. So I have a Gigabit NAS but restricted to three devices. Considering the humble hardware it is fast, 40MB/s is pretty good IMO.