NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: adsl modem/router
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:41 pm 

ok not as far off topic as it might appear.....

I need an ADSL modem-4 port router that has a good dynamic dns built in to access dyndns.com or such like. It is difficult to distinguish between models from the published specs. Has anyone got good experience and able to recommend something - I'm thinking of the Zyxel P661H-d1 but then again there is Linksys and possibly Netgear. I want to access security cameras as well as my usual NL server.

mod...Pls bear with me on this query, at least for a few days! jeffjohn.

Post subject: Re: adsl modem/router
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:52 pm 

My personal preference would be to use a best in class xDSL modem for the modem side of things. A box loaded with smoothwall and a couple of good Intel or 3Com NICs for the routing/security/DDNS/VPN/NAT/... Finally, a good Gigabit switch for the internal network. Everything in one boxes are nice but they also generally only do one thing well and the rest at best passable.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:23 pm 

mikeiver1 - somehow, I thought you might reply! most grateful and your suggestion was originally my intended route. Would you be so kind as to, without prejudice, suggest a couple of your personnal favourites ...?

thanks very much - I feel I am venturing into a fairly expensive area in which I have no knowledge!

here in france I use a Wanadoo.fr SAGEM Livebox with inbuilt dyndns at the click of a button; can't fault it so far, but as far as i know, not available outside of france.

p.s. didn't you like the ZyXEL soln. much? recommended by dyndns.com.

regards and thanks jeffjohn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:26 pm 

Most kind your vote of confidence in me but in the area of DDNS I am useless to you as I have yet to need and and so implement it.

The cost of a smoothwall box shouldn't be more than $50.00 USD, don't know the translation to Euros but guess they to be on a rough par.

Modem, that would be regional for your country but I like the Zoom modems when I had xDSL. They are very configurable and have verbose reporting. I would hope that xDSL in the states is the same in France.

For a switch, I prefer to go with the big hardware from enterprise class makers. Better built and more reliable. Cisco is great stuff but you will bleed for it. Alliedtelesyn is good stuff from my experience, that is my gigabit switch maker and it is managed to boot complete with web interface for admin. I also have linksys 48 port for all the stuff that runs at 10/100TX with a SFP to the Gigabit switch. All was had for less than $200.00 about 4 years ago.

Ebay is your friend here. Allot of sellers will ship to Europe and if you find someone that won't, contact me and I will try and make it happen for you if it's a good deal.

Though not much help that I hope it helps a little. Anyone else care to chime in?

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:57 am 

great reply mikeiver! thanks - I follow all that and I'm sure it is veery sound advice.

I am hoping that someone with DDNS up-and-running can add something on that score; it is not easy to get details from manufacturers on their DDNS support.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:14 am 

Are you talking about an external modem, a pci card or an integrated modem; I'm not familiar with your pc. In any case the answer is most probably that you can't repair it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:29 pm 

Throw it away and get a new one.

The Courier V.Everything is a great unit and robust as hell. Very fast for a modem and hard has a mule to kick off line. The fax implementation in it sucks ass though.

Just for general info, it is very likely that the modem in your machine is just a basic interface and nothing more. Most modems are what are known as Win Modems and use the processor for the DSP needed to modulate and demodulate data over the phone line.

Also look at getting a WWAN card from one of the cell carriers in the area, they can give you far more bandwidth for not much more than you are paying now. $60.00 a month. How do I know this? I have been using this setup for the last 2+ years. I get around 1-2.4Mbps down and about 120-160Kbps up. Added plus, if you have a laptop you can take the connection with you on the road.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:56 am 

Post deleted.

Last edited by zorelina on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:56 am 

Dear Z -this forum is about NASLite and not about general software. If you Google a few minutes you'll stumble on all kind of (a)dsl related software. Because we're kind people, here's a URL to start with:

http://www.supershareware.com/free-fax-software-dsl-free/

HTHHAND

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

I suspect these last two users posting questions that don't apply here are probably spammers. I'll be keeping an eye on them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:37 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
Throw it away and get a new one. The Courier V.Everything is a great unit and robust as hell.

You're darn right! This mikeiver1 guy is pushing hardware here....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:50 pm 

LOL (mike flips PieterB the finger!)

Mike