NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:24 am 

I want to turn an old Shuttle SK43G into a nas server.
It has IDE as well as SATA-150 connections.

Is there a limitation on the size of the HD I can use? What governs the disk size, the BIOS or the Operating system.

So far I can't seem to get any information about disk size from the SK43G manual or from the Shuttle forums. I did (see an article about using disks over 137G)

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:47 am 

Disk size is governed by NASLite, not BIOS. The 137GB limit should not become a problem, although you might have to make a few adjustments in the BIOS (like setting disk detection to <none>). Any RAID ability advertised for this board won't work since it is not real hardware raid. If you purchase an extra PCI card for the one slot available to do RAID, first verify in these forums that NASLite supports it. That RAID card (and its own BIOS) will control any disk size/array limits.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:53 pm 

Hello everyone.
I am new around here but have been using NASLite+ for about 5 years now.
I am using an old Dell Optiplex GXa Intel Pentium II 266 with a 6GB IDE HDD, I know it's small but it served it's purpose which was to just backup my personal files like doc, xls, txt and e-mails.
Now I want to upgrade to a biger HDD like 1TB for all my movies and software backups and musics.
Will this old system support this 1TB HDD? I know the pc won't as it's bonded to the 137GB chipset limitation.
What about NASLite+? Will it suport this big HDD?
Cheers

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:39 am 

Not all BIOS will support booting from a large drive regardless of the size of the boot partition. I recently installed NasLite on a Pentium II slot 1 with Award BIOS that refused to boot from a drive larger than 137G. This particular BIOS had no manual settings for Cylinder/Head/Sector and used autodetect in the setup menu to set the drive parameters. Problem was, with large drives (over 137G), it would lock up during detection. Although NasLite technically bypasses BIOS, for boot, this was a problem, since this BIOS would only boot from a drive whose C/H/S values were set to other than zero. My solution was to put a 6G drive in the machine (the smallest I had), set that drive to "Auto", and all other drives (2 500G drives) to "None". The 6G drive is only used for boot (my customer wanted it that way) and NasLite is installed there. NasLite recognizes all other drives in the system, bypassing BIOS altogether for addressing.

The limitation in the older IDE interface was the 24 bit addressing, which limited the drive size to 137G (or 127G depending on whether you count 1G=1000M or 1G=1024M). Around year 2000, IIRC, the address was changed to 48 bit word length pushing the max size into the petabyte range. Virtually all IDE interfaces made after this switch will technically support the same 48bit/petabyte drive size, but AFAIK the largest drive available for IDE is 500G. SATA drives go to 1TB and beyond.

As long as you don't have one of the quirky BIOS like the one I mentioned, and can set the C/H/S manually in CMOS, NasLite should boot fine from an older 24 bit IDE with a large drive. It will boot from SATA in any case.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:59 am 

Location: suite no.-20, apartment-5, Near W21st street,Zenia,California-95595
Disk size depends on NASLite, not BIOS. 137GB limit won't be a problem.