NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:55 pm 

Hey there guys & girls

I need to expand my nas
So I was looking at the WD 1TB green power drive (special offer @ 78 euro)

As always, the drive will be mirrored to a 3x500 GB raid 5 array
the 1TB drive will not be controlled by the raid card

does the "power saving" function of the drive really turn it off or just slow it down from 7200 to 5400rpm?
anyone using thes drives?
findings?

Thanks, Tim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:31 pm 

I have a 750 WD Green hard drive on my NASLite M2. It works very good. If I don't go to it for a long time it does take a little time to bring up the folder. But after that it's good till a lot of time passes by.

I know if is very low in sound and temp. A very nice hard drive. I like it.

-Raymond Day

Last edited by Raymond Day on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:41 pm 

Using WD 500GB Green Drive "Device Model: WDC WD5000AACS-00G8B0" (plus two other "normal" Seagates) ; no troubles. Now at 3,345 power-on hours. I shutdown nightly, otherwise systems runs about 16 hours a day. Not using any RAID. I believe it only slows down spindle speed. It consistently records the lowest temperature by 3-4 degrees.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:31 pm 

Great

Thanks for the info guys

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:06 pm 

I have a Linux server with a 1TB WD green hard drive. Last night it was making like a whistling type sound off and on. I guess it was doing a lot of things.

About a hour leter it just turned off! I could not get it to go back on. I used another 12 volt 5 amp brick power supply and that worked. So in the morning today I cracked open the bad brick power supply to see if I could see any thing wrong. I found 2 puffed up capacitors in it. Unsolder them, and I all ready had some here. Solder them in and hooked it up to my small Linux Ubutnu server and it's working. So the bad capacitors were it.

But no problums with any thing when it came back up. The WD green hard drive made it though that bad power.

It gets it's power from a little picoPSU-90. But it was the 12 volt brink that went bad now fixed.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:57 pm 

Yep, the caps in some of the cheaper power supplies have to deal with very high ripple currents. The result is that the cheap ones go south faster than they should, Easy fix most of the time if they don't take transistors and Shottky diodes with them.

Good fix,

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:51 pm 

Not long after that a 2nd brick power supply went out on another mini-itx I have. This one I did a video of it how I fixed it.

I have other brick power supplys like this but they are still good. I think they used some other capacitors in them.

About a week about 2 I got a 2nd WD green hard drive for my NASlite-M2. It's a 1.5 GB and with the green 750 GB on it too they both are working very good. I tuch them and they would not even worm up your hand good if you came in from out side in the winter time. That is how cool they stay.

-Raymond Day