NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:34 pm 

well just to upset you - my 3rd one came from ebay 99p plus £8 postage

sorry :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:15 pm 

:shock: :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:31 pm 

tony a wrote:
well just to upset you - my 3rd one came from ebay 99p plus £8 postage

sorry :D

That's what i'm talking about boys. People are dumping those for chump change and no one seems to know what to do with them. Naslite fits in it like a shoe.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:54 pm 

Quote:
You may just want to look at one of the atom based MBs and go that rout when the next iteration of NL comes out to save energy and have a NAS box with decent performance that you can stream video from.

mike - will they not work now with naslite 2 - what about the mini-itx - are they the same - my eon works with video but its on the edge - something better would be useful

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:26 pm 

You will likely have to wait for the next kernel on NL to come out before there is better support for the newer processors, NIC, RAID, and MBs on offer at present.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:17 am 

Later versions of neoware use a 800mhz via cpu and via bus and chipset so should do just fine for video. Kind of like an epia board. I may try and fetch one from fleabay and see what its good for. The big heatsink may be on the way of a hard drive, but i dont know till i give it a try.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:39 am 

had a look at one and theres no easy way to get a 3.5 hard drive in - a 2.5 would be easier

but i have video working fine with a promise sata card - tried it with a couple of other ones with via chipsets and they were rubbish

mounting the drive is easy - like the photo at the start of this thread but moved to the right - a small support hung off the power supply gives some support to the drive at the rear

not got naslite to boot of a sata drive so use the dom that came with mine - that works fine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:03 pm 

tony/nick, any cool news on your eons guys? Mine are still kicking just fine. Dropped one i carry on the floor and cracked the faceplate a week or so ago, but thankfully it booted and seems to be ok.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:14 pm 

Still awaiting delivery - my PayPal payment took a while to clear.... It's in the country at least.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:20 pm 

have 2 running - first one with 160gig ide internal - pretty much as pictures at beginning of this thread - its a dump and retrieve drive for the various other pc's around the house - central store for email and downloading to - works well

2nd unit is transiant - put 1terabyte sata in it on a promise card in the pci slot - the drive produces too much heat internally - running up to 50c - which i was not happy about - so mounted the drive externally in a server that is sat at the side of the neoware - pulled power from the neoware to the drive and a fan in the server - drive temp dropped to 34c - am waiting for some cables and will add a second 1terabyte to the second sata line on the promise card - again mount it in the server - power will be a problem - cannot see the neoware having enough in its power supply for itself and 2 drives - will look at that when i get round to it

as a system it does all i want - with the promise sata card it copes with video - which is always what i wanted it for and even with the external drives it uses little power - the only thing i cannot get to work is total spin down of the sata drives - it can be done but does not survive a reboot

all in all its a good system

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:46 am 

I was thinking of taking one and putting in a usb/firewire card with external ports to make something like the NSLU2. Looking at these for external storage.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... PB&cat=HDD
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... PB&cat=HDD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:54 am 

they look interesting - not seen anything like that in uk - better than what i am doing

if you go sata - be careful - they are not all equal - or thats what i found - i tried 3 different ones - only the promise would stream video - the others were fine for data but could not cope with video - the promise works well - pulled out the backplate where the sound connections are and mouned an esata connection - dont need sound so it was a good place to mount it

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:42 pm 

Got my two today - neither will start my Seagate 500GB drive. The power cable that I'm using is a little long for my liking, so I'll shorten that first.

Also, cannot get into the BIOS at all (pressing DEL key several times during boot process) - any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:54 pm 

Del gets me into bios but i have read somewhere else there is another key press - cannot remember what - will have a look round - try the other obvious ones F2 etc

that said the first one i got was not happy with pressing Del - but after a few attempts it worked and has done since

the jumper near the battery resets bios - mine had a jumper on one pin - will do no harm to reset it

cannot see the length of the power lead being a problem - well it might be if its miles long - i run a 1terabyte on a power lead about 600mm long

check the cpu setting jumpers - one of mine has been over clocked and that seemed to do funny things

what revision is the motherboard - that seems to determine what the cpu should run at

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:11 pm 

I'll try resetting the CMOS - which jumper sets the CPU clock?

I don't have any information on the jumper settings - have you found any?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next