NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:22 am 

well mine is running - its excellent - i said above it seemed odd on memory - mine came with a 32meg sodimm that reported correctly on size [single sided]

anything else i put in it sodimm or sdram reported half size - not sure if that was a potential problem or just that it would only use the half it saw

found a samsung double sided 128 that reports correctly - dont know if its anything to do with it being samsung - suspect it is the fact that its double sided - which from what i have seen is not the norm

looking at another one with a sata drive for extra capacity

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:13 am 

Let me know how it goes with sata. i may do the same.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:53 am 
Site Admin

I know a lot of folks experiment that way with NASLite. I wish more shared their efforts as you have. It's good to see alternative setups on each end of the spectrum. Maxarcade's server on youtube was nice to see as are Raymond Day's projects elsewhere on the forum. Anyway, sounds like it fits a purpose well for you. Thanks for sharing the details.

A symilar project I did long time ago outlined here: http://www.serverelements.com/file.php? ... tshell.pdf

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:09 am 

adaptor on its way Dimension - one of those that plugs on the sata drive to allow it to use an ide cable - dont know if i'm hopeful or not - if not then a promice card will be on the shopping list - thats a bit of a problem as i would have to move the drive and where you positioned it is ideal

also have not sorted out the memory problems yet - cannot get the laptop slot to see the correct amount - always half except for a 32meg - have found a 'desktop' 128 that shows correctly - its double sided which is a bit rare - most are single - they show as 64

1st box is working - have another one coming to use as a testbed - will post the results as i have them on the sata

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:12 pm 

an update on mine

its a 300x model - as earlier post dont know how relavent that it - memory seems odd - there is a 'desktop' type slot and a 'laptop' slot - either or both can be populated - but finding the right combination has proved testing - max in each slot seems to be 128mb - giving a total of 256mb - but in each case not just any memory works

in the 'desktop' slot it seems to only accept double sided 8 chip [each side] 128mb modules - single sided show as 64mb

same in the 'laptop' slot - that demands double sided 4 chip [each side] 128mb modules - anything else either does not work or shows as half - in some cases the total memory actually reduces

all that said 128mb seems fine

have got mine working with a sata drive - has been interesting :|

i used one of the modules that plugs onto the sata drive that allows a normal ide cable to be used - added Naslite HDD to the drive on another system and then added the drive - unfortanatly that does not work - bios recognises the drive is there but i could not get naslite to boot

plan B took a bit of thinking about - i have added an ide to cf adaptor mounted in the pci backplate - thats booting the system - the sata drive is then mounted as Dimensions picture - at the moment i have a 320gig drive in there - a 1-terrabyte is the next step

have also added a 40mm fan - the mounting is there in the power supply - just needs fixing and power - dropped that to 7v - was too noisy at 12v - would have liked to run it at 5v but fan would not start at that - would run but needed help to start

have to thank Dimension for the initial idea - i am well pleased with mine - waiting for another box to make a second one

UPDATE

1 tb fitted and working fine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:08 pm 

Dimension

have you tried streaming video from any of your eons - not 100% successful - had 128mb ram - that was a no go - raised it to 256 and its better but not perfect - wondering about some of the bios settings but i dont understand quite a few of them - that said i'm not sure they will help

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:36 pm 

6Mb/sec is on the low side of the need for what is considered standard definition video with a stereo audio stream. Add to that the fact that the drive interface in the unit is likely of marginal performance and you have the makings of a stutter problem. For music it would be great though.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:46 pm 

thanks mike - thats what i am finding - i have 2 boxes - slightly different spec - one is better than the other - am playing [and hoping somewhat] no disaster if it does not work but it would be nice if it did

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:02 pm 

Well good luck with that. You may just want to look at one of the atom based MBs and go that rout when the next iteration of NL comes out to save energy and have a NAS box with decent performance that you can stream video from.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:37 pm 

am streaming video a treat - not quite as i would want it - getting a bit complicated - but its now back at 128mg memory and added a sata card in the pci riser

gives a few problems mounting the drive but thats to be looked at another day - the box is excellent - power usage is minimal so a 24/7 unit is viable - with energy cots in the uk thats something i had not wanted to do before

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:06 am 

I figured video will be a stretch for a i586. Audio on the other hand is dead on with it. Haven't had any complaints from my buddy with the coffee shop. As a matter of fact i was there last week and used his wireless. As power usage goes, those eons do just fine. One thing i'd watch tho is how much stiff you hang on that power supply. I have to check, but i bet output is no higher than 20W so gota keep that in mind.

I ran the core3 hdt thingy ralph posted on my eon (that and everything else i own for that matter) and i got modules listed for both nic and storage. I think with the new 2.6 coming down the pipe, the eon will do better yet.

still happy with it ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:21 am 

it does struggle but i am just looking at plan b [or maybe thats z]

its all about the video - a vob files plays well - but avi's struggle - also about the drive its coming off - 1st unit had a 160gig ide in it - that was pretty good

2nd unit i put a sata on a sata converter - so it was hung on the ide line - thats the one thats giving problems - have a promise sata card - with that and 128mb memory it works fine with everything i throw at it

just need to be able to move the drive - not easy to internally mount with the sata card - may have it external - had worried about the power but it all seems ok - as i said earlier i added a 40mm fan - that seems to help the heat - i also stand mine vertically - again that seems to help to get rid of the heat

its an interesting project - once i get it 'finally' sorted it will do all i want

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:23 pm 

There are 3 x Neoware EON BA-EON3000X-W currently on eBay for approx £34 delivered to the UK - I bought two earlier and intend to produce an always-on solution for my home network with a 500GB IDE drive and possibly a gigabit network card (if the PSU is up to it.....).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:46 pm 

useful - i have a bloke in manchester who has 30 - well maybe 28 as i have had 2 - shout if anybody wants them - and sorry Nick they are £20 delivered - less if you want more

i have 2 running and one as a spare

one has a 200gig ide and the power supply seems fine - the other has now a 1000gig sata in it with a promise sata card - streams video a treat - as said earlier the onboard ide is iffy for streaming video

they seem to need 128meg memory to work - on the 3000 that is a bit odd - i posted something earlier about it - but now have that sorted

they have onboard network but will work with a nic in the pci slot - it makes mounting the drive a bit more difficolt but still possible

if you are buying the drive then a 2.5 would make life much easier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:23 pm 

Ah - never mind - if I need to procure some for friends / colleagues I'll pm you - £20 is a snip!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next