NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: arm processor support?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:35 pm 

Is there a version for arm processors? If not is there a low profile flex atx motherboard that can be recommended?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:49 pm 

I don't think that they have an ARM compiled version but there are many small ATX form factor MB that should work. You don't need one that is the latest and greatest processor or hardware, they are wasted on the NAS application. I know that the Intel celeron based processors are a good choice so you might see what is out there with one of them embedded, 1GHz should be more than enough.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:32 am 

Dobash:

I wonder if you are inquiring about ARM support if you might be thinking about the HP mediavault platform? I used NASlite for many years but wanted a small energy efficient NAS so purchased one of these MV2120 units. The software is not even close to NASlite. Perhaps with enough resource we can locate a small MB for it or locate someone who can do an ARM version of NASlite.
Your comments?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:44 pm 

I would assume that a port of NL to an ARM based system should not be to bad. The problem is, is there a large enough user base willing to pay for the product after it is developed to make the effort worth it. This is a question for Tony and Ralph to tackle.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:40 am 

I got a WD MyBookLive and it has a 1GHz ARM CPU in it. A gigabit Ethernet and that board just mounts on the 4 screws under the SATA hard drive. So it's very small.

I tested installing NASLite on a PC with a SATA hard drive. Put the ARM tinny motherboard on it and it don't get a IP. So it don't work. I know NASLite will auto config it's self but I guess it can't with a ARM CPU.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:42 am 

They are coming out with a lot of motherboards that use ARM CPU now. Look up:

"PogoPlug pro" It has a 2 core 700 MHz CPU only 128 RAM. Gigagit Ethernet and a SATA port in side it. 4 USB 2.0 ports. You can find it on line for about $40. Can hack Linux in it.

"Tondoplug 2" It's about the same only 1 core ARM CPU. But more RAM 512. Gigabit Ethernet. A SATA port and 1 USB port. It can be hacked with Linux too. But it cost just over $100.

WD MyBookLive too like I post about here before this post.

They both use very little power. The same type CPU's they use in a cell phone and they can't use a lot of power and they do have a cell phone that plugs in to a screen and keyboard to use as a computer.

I guess for NASLite to work with ARM they just have to run a program on it to convert it. I guess that can take a long time even on a fast PC.

Just think the motherboards use under 2 watts of power! It's the hard drive that add to the power more. But can put them to sleep. This would be very good for NASLite running 24/7.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:17 am 

Wow I am on a UG802 now. Just a HDMI stick! It has a 2 core 1.6GHz ARM CPU running Android OS on it.

Can watch You tube videos real good on it and it's on my 1080P TV plugged in the HDMI. There is a USB port on it and I can plug in a USB hub so have keyboard, mouse, and some hard drives on it. It has a SD slot that can take a 32GB tiny card. The hole thing is super small too. Just like a big USB stick. Has 1GB of RAM in it the OS has 4GB flash ram so can install some more things on it google play place.

It be super if they could get NASLite to work on ARM things like this. I love to use this as a fast NAS. It only cost about $40 free shipping that takes like 2 weeks from Japan to the USA.

Got a USB keybaord with mouse on it and both wireless. Works real good. The GPU is 4 core and can play 1080p vidoes good.

So if used as a server it be neat if could use some of the GPU power as like CPU power. I know some Windows programs do that with GPU's.

It's about $50 with free shipping from here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Android- ... 24405.html
-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:01 pm 

And just where do I connect the gigabit Ethernet and the SATA RAID controller?

I can't see a practical application of it to NAS. It would likely make a good video player.

You will likely have to wait for the likes of AMD and others to come out with their server chip sets based on ARM to get a viable server around the architecture.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:37 am 

I know it's missing good things to be a server. SATA parts for one. Just can use it's one USB 2.0 port and I got 2 USB hard drives on it now just to test it. A USB to Ethernet adaptor but it's only 10/100 and it's working good.

I did not know they are "You will likely have to wait for the likes of AMD and others to come out with their server chip sets based on ARM" I hope they are fast ones like this UG802.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:51 pm 

Fast is a relative thing where servers are concerned. These servers are likely going to be faster on some tasks (those that lend them selves to multithreading) that the present crop of servers simply because they will have so many cores. The real appeal is the power consumption reduction, data centers are having a real problem getting the heat out because of the modern servers large energy footprint.

It is all academic though since allot of cores will not really help with NAS like we are running in our homes or small business. You have to throw dozens of clients at a server before it will really benefit from more cores.

If you are simply looking for a good basic server platform with gigabit and SATA then look at the Atom based motherboards. The DN2800MT has a dual core 1.8GHz processor and is a snappy box by any standard. It also only burns around 10Watts playing two 1080P videos at the same time. I have not tried NASLite on it but I suspect that it will boot just fine.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:21 am 

Yes, I looked at the motherboard, DN2800MT. It is nice but I want to wait till they make the new Atom with “tri-gate” transistors new year in 2013 some time. That should be faster and use even less power then the DN2800MT does now.

I am running my Windows on a D2700MUD right now. It's nice.

What I hate about it, it can take 8GB of RAM but you have to run Windows 64 bit to use it all but they don't make a 1080p driver for it then! I can only guess like Atom note books they did not want them to make bit LCD screens for them. Because people would not buy the better ones then.

It still be nice if they make NASLite work with ARM CPU's. What would it take for them to do that. Is it hard?

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:59 pm 

Can't see much use in 8GB of RAM but to each his own.

To the question of an ARM build? This is a question better answered by Tony or Ralph. Likely a basic build is simple, the issue is bug hunting of the build in all the modules needed to get a stable build. I suspect it would be a rather monumental task all said and done.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:54 am 

They now have a 4 core and 2GB RAM named "Tronsmart MK908" It's still new and the 4 cores can run at 1.7 MHz each. It cost about $70. But looks like no one has found out how to get Linux running on it. It comes with Android.

It be neat if NASLite could work with ARM CPU's. But I guess this one is to good for it. But it just has USB 2.0 on it so have to put USB hard drives on it.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:49 pm 

I have one of those and it would be a poor choice indeed for a NAS. They are aimed at use as a HTPC only having an HDMI output, a micro SD card slot and a couple of USB ports. There is no NIC. There are other ARM based boards out there with the features that a NAS would need such as SATA and NIC.

I suspect that Tony and Ralph have lives that have taken over and ARM is likely not going to happen soon if ever. I also suspect that for the most part the distro is kinda dead from a development point of view as well.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:00 am 

I don't think it be a poor choice mostly because it only uses about 1 watt of power.

I have the MK808 running as my home server with Linux on it now and 2 USB hard drives that are 3TB each. It's booting off one of the 3TB drives.

Samba is running on it and Apache and they work super good. Nice and fast.

Can install lots of things with apt-get install. I got pyTivo running on it. So my HD TiVo can download videos from it.

Have WordPress running on it and lots of other things. A phpBB message board too.

With Samba it is sort of like a NAS and more right now.

Here is some little info commands to show it some.

Code:
root@small5:~# uptime
 03:38:30 up 41 days, 16:30,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
root@small5:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor       : 0
BogoMIPS        : 2399.21

processor       : 1
BogoMIPS        : 2399.21

Features        : swp half thumm fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x3
CPU part        : 0xc09
CPU revision    : 0

Hardware        : RK30board
Revision        : 0000