NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:26 am 

Please reference my previous issue viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2573.

I thought it was all done but I have a issue that isn't resolved. As stated in my previous topic I expanded my Array outside of Naslite using Fedora and a Raid Utility called Storage Manager. I thought all was well except Naslite is not recognizing the expansion.

My Raid Card Bios recognizes that the array as 1862.91Gig but Naslite recognizes the array to be the original size of 916.8Gig (see previous post where I increased the size by adding two new drives to my existing array). I was alarted to this problem when the capacity alarm triggered. I turned off the alarm which works for me now but I don't know how Naslite will handle the storage of data above the 916.8Gig.

How do I fix Naslite to recognize the actual array size?

Thanks in advance,
ssttuuky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:25 am 

Well it is dire now. Came in this morning and Naslite considers itself full even though it has another Terrabyte to work with.

HELP
HELP
HELP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:46 am 

The extension should be recognized by your raid card's bios. The problem you are having has nothing to do with naslite. Naslite will report what the raid card reports.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:17 am 

I am not trying to disagree with the above but I have resolved my issue using clues given by the administrator. I am posting the answer in the topic noted above to keep it all together for the next guy.

I will explain what I am learned briefly (again I am not a guru in anyway... just a competent bookkeeper) and why I disagree with the above post.

Alright... here is some basic knowledge to answer what issue I was having:
On a NON-RAID system you have minimum of three layers: the physical disk drive, the partition, and the file system. Now if your system includes hardware RAID, an additional layer exists—the logical drive.

Please excuse the Dos terms, but it boils down to these steps with a NON-raid system in setting up an OS:
1) add the physical drive
2) fdisk (create Partition)
3) format (create file system).

Now on a Raid system you will
1) add the physical drive
2) create logical disk (through Raid Utility on card Bios)
3) fdisk (create Partition)
4) format (create file system).

How is how I got my problem, I wasn't looking at Naslite like an OS (see... I am not a guru :) ). You see up until this point, I had done the 1 and 2 but I didn't work with the partition or the file system. I would be having this same problem if I was working in a Windows environment because I didn't change/resize the partition/file system. To fix this in Windows, I would boot into "Partition Magic" to resize the partition & file system. I should also be able to use it here since Partition Magic supports most file systems, however, I wanted to go open-source for those who don't have this software package.

Please refer to the topic viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2573 for how I resolved my issue.