NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:44 am 

dimension wrote:
Right-on sandor,
Some people have a hard time looking past the end of their nose.

Some people may have a nose quite not much longer than their thoughts... Makes it much easier too look past it, right, dimension ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:39 am 

I have to agree with Moa on this one. I wasted time reading this thread because I was curious about these cards as I read a read good review of them in a PC magazine yesterday.
The guy asked a simple question 3 times, then got mugged. I understand the purpose of NASLite and have been using it for years with an approved RAID card and have no poblems which I appreciate. A simple answer to his question from Tony or Ralph was all that was required. I rememeber when several of use were having problems with our Adpatec 2610 RAID cards. We asked a few questions and they came out with a fix. If a certain card cannot or will not be supported just give a simple yes or no and be done with the thread.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:59 am 
Site Admin

Fair point jmiliz,

The HighPoint RAID controllers are software RAID controllers and since NASLite-2 supports only hardware RAID, it is not likely that it will support RAID on any of those cards in it's current incarnation. The 2.4 kernel used by ANSLite-2 does not include any of the HighPoint drivers in the existing source tree so until we can migrate the core to 2.6, I see no sensible way of supporting those.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:24 am 

Thanks Tony. I use this forum to learn and you have given me some useful information. Now I understand why some cards are not supported. The article I was referring to was in this issue of MaximumPC. They did a review on RAID cards which is worth reading. The RocketRAID card that Moa mentioned is a discrete card and has an Intel 800MHz processor. The 3510 is reviewed in this article and gets excellent marks. They did a comparison with Host-based cards and Motherboard RAID and showed quite a difference.

Last edited by jmiliz on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:32 am 

jmiliz wrote:
I have to agree with Moa on this one. I wasted time reading this thread because I was curious about these cards as I read a read good review of them in a PC magazine yesterday.
The guy asked a simple question 3 times, then got mugged. I understand the purpose of NASLite and have been using it for years with an approved RAID card and have no poblems which I appreciate. A simple answer to his question from Tony or Ralph was all that was required. I rememeber when several of use were having problems with our Adpatec 2610 RAID cards. We asked a few questions and they came out with a fix. If a certain card cannot or will not be supported just give a simple yes or no and be done with the thread.

1) A NASLite representative was the third unique replier to this thread

2) http://www.serverelements.com/contact.php - direct tech support from the developers would *probably* be answered more quickly here (in my experience)

3) the original poster took it to a nasty level with this:

Moa wrote:
That it is a lot of work and you want to make sure of the best compatibility ?
Yes sure... You re kind of paid for that no ? WHre not rally talking abut a freeware
Pretty surprising the arrogance... and the lack of interest for customer's potential needs
I kept on asking politely, and quite disappointed in the end by the tone of the asnwers
Anywya it's life I guess i"ll have to look somewhere else
Thank you

and that was *AFTER* both developers had replied to the topic. Apparently Ralph's "No" wasn't good enough for him.

Ralph wrote:
Quote:
Sarcasm or not... Nobody from NASLite has answered my question
This isnt a forum... it s adesert

Besides the obvious, that the Highpoint cards aren't supported, I think Tony explained our position quit well.

4) If Moa would have actually contacted the developers through the "Questions & Comments" link on the home page.... or heck, even if he would have RTFM...

Moa seem(ed)(s) to be trolling for a "mugging" (s)he knew the extent of their inflammatory statements...