NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:57 am 

Don't laugh too hard, but is there any chance that I can get the Promise SATA 300 TX4 running with my ancient Dell XPS 266?

I've got NASLite 2 - CDD running with a 120Gig Maxtor drive in the XPS 266. But this was just for initial experimentation - I'm now ready to move the Maxtor 500Gig SATA 300 drive into the system.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the Promise to recognize the drive. At least nothing displays on the screen. I have followed the instructions on the Dell site to reset the NVRAM, but there doesn't seem to be any way of know if the Promise is recognized. I suspect it isn't, due to the age of the system (1997).

If this isn't going to work, has anyone any idea if Dell T500 (1999) is likely to work? I currently have this running Ubuntu. I've got another fairly old noname system sitting around, but I might be better off just getting a new/simple system. Or giving up with SATA.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. This exercise has turned from something that should have been simple into a bit of a nightmare.

Thanks