NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Assigning IRQ's
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:00 am 

How do you assign a certain IRQ to each PCI slot. I have an ECS
RS400-A motherboard that has 2 PCI slots. When I put my NIC card in one slot the IRQ it is assigned is 10 and the card works fine. When I put the NIC card in the other slot the IRQ assigned is 7 and it does not work. There is a conflict with IRQ 7 because my USB slots are also assigned IRQ 7. I am running Naslite 2 USB so I cannot disable my USB slots. I would like to add an additional SATA controller card to my NAS, but I think I am still running into an IRQ conflict.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:44 am 

Someone savvier can correct me ... but I don't think there is a way to do that.
If you can't beat it head-on ... walk around it, I say !
How about a PCI-E SATA card ? (A cheap (probably TOO cheap) example: http://cgi.ebay.com/PCI-E-Express-IDE-ATA-133-SATA-2-Port-Combo-Card_W0QQitemZ150145338011QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150145338011)

:) Georg

Post subject: Re: Assigning IRQ's
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:30 am 

kenf wrote:
When I put my NIC card in one slot the IRQ it is assigned is 10 and the card works fine. When I put the NIC card in the other slot the IRQ assigned is 7 and it does not work. There is a conflict with IRQ 7

All depends on your BIOS and often you cannot use one IRQ with one specific PCI slot. Some old PCI cards had jumpers to set the IRQs but they are no longer on the market (PNP has eliminated this need).

The only solutions:

1/ leave the card in the PCI slot that works and don't complicate your life :D
2/ In the BIOS, you reserve the shared IRQ so that they won't be used at boot up. Boot up and the IRQs will be distributed differently. If everything has an IRQ and all work, then don't touche anything. If there are IRQs missing and some cards / fonctions don't work because of not enought IRQs, then undo the reservation of some IRQs and re boot till you have a correctly working solution. This last method is mainly trial and error, time consuming and doesn't always give the wanted results. AND, if you change something in the BIOS later, the IRQs may change too :cry:

So, my advice, stick to solution 1. "If it is not broken, no need to repair"