NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:48 am 

I've done some extensive googling re: recommended temperatures for consistent drive operation.

The general theme is cooler is better and >55 deg C makes your drive out of warranty (although it would be a brick at that temp soon enough anyway).

I am curious what temperatures people here get under normal operation. I understand that this is drive dependent and some are generally cooler than others but that shouldnt stop us talking about it.

As a reference on a cold day i can get my drives down below 30 deg C (28 deg is coldest so far) and on a warm'ish day under load they can peek at 36-38 deg C. If i abandon cooling and cram the drives in multiway adaptors the same kit hits easily 43-45 deg C under the same conditions.

I have read on a couple of places that lowering a drive temp by 5 deg C can add 50% onto its life compared to running at the higher temp. Im not sure i believe this without some evidence as the internet tends to suffer from chinese whispers with facts like this.

I would be interested to hear you opinions, facts, citations on this subject.

There is no doubt it is very important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:32 pm 

Hello fat & others:

I can't cite anything specific. I am, however, of the same opinion and at the same level of info as fat. I agree in particular with "cooler is better" and the paragraph that starts "As a reference on a cold day ...". My HDD temperatures run at right around those levels. When they go above 40C I add some additional cooling.

Here's my setup: 3x 3.5" HDDs in a Thermaltake cage with a 120mm fan at the front. I used to have my NL server in a mid-tower case, but about 6 months ago completely changed over to a different philosophy (SuperMicro rackmount). While the 3xDrive cage was in the mid-tower case, HDD temps were never below 38, even on a cool day. So what I do now is to leave that cage EXTERNAL to the rackmount case (with regular IDE and SATA cables routed through the open PCI slot). Allows for much better airflow to the drives. The whole setup (together with two other servers and a large capacity UPS) is in a double-sliding-door-closet downstairs in the utility room (washer/dryer). What I mean by "add some additional cooling" when things get warmer ... I crack-open the sliding doors on each side and a desk-top personal fan adds circulation by blowing air out on one side.

Current temps/setup: sliding doors are cracked open, desk fan is OFF, two servers (out of three) are running, ambient (outside of the closet) is about 72F. The three NL HDDs are running at 34/34/35 respectively. By early evening (today's outside temps will run around 90F+ and I avoid turning on A/C in the house) I will be turning on the desk fan and HDD temps will rise to around 39/40 with ambient (outside of the closet) around 82F.

Conclusion: Although the "5C lower adds 50% lifetime" seems a little high, I believe the general trend, and -- knowing what I know about and long years of experience with electronics -- I am in agreement with "cooler is longer life" and I strongly recommend a cage with fan or individual HDD coolers ($8-$12) for EACH HDD you have that has important data on it.

:) Georg