NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:26 am 

I recently found the Coolermaster STB-3T4-E1 while browsing one of my favourite UK hardware suppliers site. It is a 4 x 3.5" HDD's drive cage which fits into 3 x 5.25" drive bays. It has a 120mm fan on the front and the cage is resiliently mounted into the 5.25" bays. Keeps my drives cool and reduces vibration transmission to the chassis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:08 am 

Hi Nick,

It seems that it DOES NOT :x fit in all types of cases but just some ATX cases. Check before buying if it goes in your case. Seen on one site:

Quote:
The description notes that this works well with the CM Stacker. What we have seen is that this is only ideal for that case. Its design shows that it can fit in the bays specified, but in no way do we guarantee compatibily with cases other than those specified.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:29 am 

Yes, you need a "clear" 5.25" width for the whole height of the 3 bays - any tabs protruding in (which may support drives) will banjax the installation - or require a bit of Dremel'ling! :) Drive cages doing their job nicely - moved 800GB of data from 1 RAID to another prior to tearing down the first no problems, no errors at all. Drives not too warm at the end of it (about 20 hours later.......).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:24 am 

NickC wrote:
Drive cages doing their job nicely - moved 800GB of data from 1 RAID to another prior to tearing down the first no problems, no errors at all. Drives not too warm at the end of it (about 20 hours later.......).

Yes, the idea is very nice. I had thought of installing something similar but couldn't fit it in my case. Just added a fan in front of the drives and they seem cool enough (didn't test 20 hours of copying :lol: but did a burn in test for the drives for 7 hours)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:53 am 

I got this 4in3 adaptor from amazon.. I think I paid $18 for it. I used it on the Ultra mid tower case (FAR from fry's).

I bent all the metal "tabs" used to hold/slide for 5 1/4" drives on the case.. the 4in3 adaptor slide in smoothly.

I got 4 drives in the adaptor.. plus 2 on the lower section of the Ultra case...(added a 8cm fan). Total 6 drives.

Also 1 12cm fan on the back of the case.. all 6 drives connect to Adaptec 1610-6SA - Raid 5.

It's a pretty nice 2TB NAS.

My temp is in low 30s Celsius