NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:50 am 

Hi,

Newby question :-) I'll build a server with an ASUS MoBo (M2N-NX) with an AMD Sempron64, on board RAID5 with SATA2 using 3 drives.

If I read well, as RAID5 will be controled by the MoBo and will be seen as 1 hard drive by NASLite and will not be a problem.

OTOH, I'm not sure that the on board NVIDIA MCP61P gigabit LAN chip will be accepted by NASLite. When I check the ref guide I see several nVidia LAN chipsets (including MCP04 & MCP2A references but not the MCP61P).

So the question is: will the gigabit LAN work?

TIA and best regards.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:25 am 

Hi myself :D

As I have received so many answers :lol: to my post, I suppose that nobody uses this MoBo or LAN chip.

I bought the MoBo (and everything needed for a very fast NAS) and bough NASLite 2 USB. As soon as I'll mount the computer, I'll run NASLite and will come back to the forum with news about this MoBo / LAN chip and tell you if it works with the latest NL2.

It will be my 2 cents of help 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:56 pm 

I would be more concerned about the onboard RAID. I do not think NASLite suppoers this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:12 pm 

Quote:
I would be more concerned about the onboard RAID. I do not think NASLite suppoers this.

I will second that. It's likely software RAID and does require drivers. I have no experience with that board though, so my guess is as good as yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:06 am 

Hi,

Well, I built the server, put NL on the USB key and at boot from the USB key, NL couldn't see the LAN card (LAN chip in this case) and wouldn't start (logical!)

During the install, NL saw the drives though, but as I said, didn't get NL to work as a NAS so I can't answer precisely for the RAID.

I don't think that it is a software RAID as it is the nVidia chip onboard that does the RAID functions. I have 3 Sata2 drives set up in RAID 5 and no problems till now.

I'll see if I have a NIC that works with NL so that I can bring back more information on the card and RAID.

If the SE team needs me to test something on this MoBo, it is OK for me (don't forget that I'm old to PC world but new to Linux)

Regards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:45 am 

Hi everybody,

Now that I have a computer that is not loaded with stuff, I am tesqting and learning more on Linux. :D

It seems that the posts abour RAID being a software RAID were right as XP Pro needed RAID drivers to install, Ubuntu didn't see the RAID but saw the individual 3 SATA drives.

As for yhe LAN chip of the MoBo, it was seen immediately by Ubuntu and connection to the Internet and to the LAN worked OK... Does that mean that in a future version, NL will the the LAN chip also? I think that NL doesn't use the same Kernel as Ubuntu but I'm not sure.

Best regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:23 am 

Quote:
It seems that the posts abour RAID being a software RAID were right

Well, I'm very dissapointed to hear that. I have the exact same mobo (just bought it new) waiting for the case to arrive, to build my first NL server. I was very much interested in the board b/c of the onboard RAID-5. Now I must purchase an add-in RAID5 card. (additional 300$). Was looking at this one before. I'm open to suggestions on boards. I just require SATAII & Pci-e. Now I must also look into an add-in Gig-E card. Not happy about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:48 pm 

mike909 wrote:
Quote:
It seems that the posts abour RAID being a software RAID were right

Well, I'm very dissapointed to hear that. I have the exact same mobo (just bought it new) waiting for the case to arrive, to build my first NL server. I was very much interested in the board b/c of the onboard RAID-5. Now I must purchase an add-in RAID5 card. (additional 300$). Was looking at this one before. I'm open to suggestions on boards. I just require SATAII & Pci-e. Now I must also look into an add-in Gig-E card. Not happy about that.

You guys really need to start looking at the Naslite 2 hardware guide before shopping for parts. It is unrealistic to expect a 3Mb OS to support everything ubuntu or XP supports. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:05 pm 

Maybe I should be more clear. I am very dissapointed to hear that the onboard raid is 'software'. Knowing that it is a software raid makes me unwilling to use it in either XP/Ubunto/NasLite/whatever...
As far as the onboard NIC goes, that's a 30$ hit I can take. I was just hoping to avoid the 300$ hit on the raid controller. I do agree that it is unrealistic for a 3M'B' OS to support everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:06 pm 

dimension wrote:
You guys really need to start looking at the Naslite 2 hardware guide before shopping for parts. It is unrealistic to expect a 3Mb OS to support everything ubuntu or XP supports. :?

Hi Dimension,

I had looked at the hardware list but it is not easy to find old hardware to buy :wink:

I had bought and built this server thinking that if NL didn't work with it, I could find an old Gigabit NIC or use my XP Pro. As I had promissed my son one of the office computers if NL didn't work with this new server, it was dificult for me to buy a new LAN card and not give him the computer he was lurking on :lol:

OTOH, I love building fast computers and it is difficult for me to buy for almost the same price, something not so fast :roll:

Voila 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:48 am 

According to the Hardware list, the adaptect 3405 raid card is not supported either. Yikes.