NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Case Recommendation
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:04 am 

I'm looking to move my NAS to a bigger case and was looking for recommendations. My requirements are:

- mATX and ATX compatible
- 1 CD ROM
- 7 (or even eight) 3.5" drives
- Well cooled but still quiet.

There is an overwhelming number of cases out there from many different suppliers so I'd appreciate some help narrowing down the choices.

I do not need anything fancy or flashy. I am looking for well made, relaible and not too expensive.

The last time I paid any attention to cases Antec was a good choice. Are they still OK? There seems to be many Chinese manufactures now, are they worth looking at?

Thanks,

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:07 pm 

I think with most cases you will need to get converters to turn the 5.25" bays into 3.5". Cooler Master, Lian Li, and Silverstone make a 4in3 converter w/120mm fan, ThermalTake makes a 3in3 w/120mm fan, Lian Li makes a 3in2 w/80mm fan. HERE is a place that sells all of the above.

Antec cases are good, they are solid. Really any case should do fine, but the name brands like Antec/Thermalright/Cooler Master/etc are sturdy and have good build quality.

I use an Ultra Wizard case. Every few months they pop up for close to or free after rebate. Working with it isn't as nice as with my Antec case and the metal isn't as thick, but it isn't too thin. I have used cases that were almost like tin foil, if you looked at them wrong they would warp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:06 pm 

I can strongly recommend Antec for solid cases and PSU's. I currently have my NAS in a Yeong Yang YY-0221B - space for 14 HDD's stock and up to 18 with 2 x 4-into-3 5.25" bay converters and 2 HDD's in the FDD bays - *very* solid too.

My main PC is in an Antec SLK3000B - a very nice case to work with with 4 x ext 5.25", 2 x ext 3.5" and 5 x int 3.5" bays. You could use a 4-into-3 converter with this one and get up to 11 HDD's. Nearly as solid as the Yeong Yang - I lined it with noise absorbent foam and put in a couple of Hiper fans - nice & quet too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:15 pm 

I would think antec solo would fit your requirement.

It has 4 x 5.25 slot. Put a CD ROM on and you have 3 slots left - a coolermaster 3 to 4 adaptor/converter will fit nicely. It'll house 4 drives

There is space to put additional 3 (with HD suspensions) or 4 drives in the lower section of the case. You can also install 2 additional 92mms fan in the bottom of the case. to cool the drives. Plus a 12cm fan in the back. All those fans will keep your NAS cool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:25 pm 

This case is perfect for nasbox builders...see specs and pics ...very cheap..just buy additional 8-9 mobile rack(rack) ....for 8-9 harddrives...

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=CA-ST901BS

Product Info:

Specification
o Mfr Part Number: 901BS
o Case Type: Mini Server Tower Case
o Color: Black/Silver
o Material: 0.7 mm SECC Metal
o M/B Type: ATX, Micro ATX
o Drive Bays: 9
+ External Bay: 5.25"x9 or 3.5"x9 or Internal Bay: 3.5"x9
o Cooling System: with1x 120mm Rear Fan, 1x 120mm Side Fan, 120mm Air Duct
o Side Windows: No