NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:49 pm 

Been using Naslite-2 USB for months and love it, but I'm having trouble adding in a controller card so I can add more drives. I'm using a Rosewill RC-212, which is based on the Via VT6421 chipset, which appears to be supported in the hardware reference guide. The card has one PATA IDE connector (for up to 2 PATA drives) and 4 SATA connectors - two of which can be used at a time.

I added in the card and attach a 500Gb Seagate PATA drive to the IDE connector. A BIOS option for the controller card comes up when I first boot the machine. If I enter that BIOS, it shows the new HD as primary master on PATA channel, and has a message that I can't create a RAID array with only one disk. No problem - I don't want a RAID array, I just want to use it as a single drive.

I exit the BIOS and let Naslite boot up, but it doesn't appear to see the drive at all. I see drives 0-3 (my current four drives attached to the mb) and drive 4 is listed as my USB drive with Naslite on it.

I can't think of anything I can do differently, and I would've thought it would be supported since the VT6421 chipset is listed in the hardware guide. Is there something else I can try to do to get NASLite to recognize the new drive? Is there a reason NASLite might support the SATA ports on the card, but not the PATA port?

Finally, in case I'm not able to ever successfully get it working, I'll need a suggestion on a (cheap) controller card as a replacement. I just want something that'll give me space for up to four more drives eventually. Ideally that would be a combination of SATA and PATA ports so I can buy whatever drives I find the best deals on, but if it's all PATA that's fine. Just so long as someone can assure me that the new controller card I get will actually work with NASLite.

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

EDIT: A thought. Is there any reason I would need to somehow format or setup a partition on the new drive before NASLite would be able to see it? I didn't have to do this on any of my other four drives connected to the MB, but maybe since this one's on the controller card? No? Maybe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:25 pm 

If no one has any suggestions for how I might be able to troubleshoot my current card, what about just a recommendation for something you're using that's cheap and works?

Preferably PATA or SATA/PATA combo.

And will I need to do anything special to get NASList to recognize the drives, or just plug them into the card and boot into NASLite?

Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:59 pm 

I've got an LSI MegaRAID i4 - takes up to 8 x IDE HDD and (with firmware upgrade) sees >137GB (128GiB) drives. I got it for £49 from eBay.co.uk and the seller says he has more. Nice simple card with lots of RAID options.

Up until recently I was using a <nobrand> SiI3114 4 x SATA PCI card successfully - £16 on eBay.co.uk, from Hong Kong.

NASLite-2 should see the drives at boot. One option would be to retire (in the short term) your smallest drive and swap it for the 500GB.

Best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:23 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions...

The LSI looks way more expensive than I wanna go - I have no need for Raid, just a simple controller card for JBOD. And unfortunately the other one you mentioned looks like it's SATA only.

I like the idea of swapping out a drive temporarily, but I have a question about how this would work. When I eventually get the old drive plugged back in, will it matter that it's moved to a different connector? Will it revert back to the name/number it has now, or will it get updated to whatever the next number is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:30 pm 

Another thought - is there a way to install a driver for the card I got, or am I stuck with whatever drivers are in the linux build NASLite uses?