NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: software raid?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:14 pm 

I'm new to NASlite, and I was wondering if there were ever plans slated to implement software raid into the OS.

I've been looking at a 3ware controller for sometime...it's about 309 dollars i'd be hard pressed to say from the reviews that it's worth every penny.

I've already unlocked my copy of Naslite2 CD on a dual 800Mhz p3 system. Though by my measure, a single 800Mhz p3 should be sufficient for a 4 way SATA raid. Given my hard drives and performance I've tested, a 4 way raid would provide about 80 to 100MBps.

I mistakenly bought two Adaptec 1210sa raid cards, unknowingly not getting the bargain I thought I'd gotten. For those of you not in the "know", the 1210sa is a software raid "helper" card. If in windows or suse 8, the drivers (software) "zip up" or spread out the commands to the hard drives via the bios on the 1210sa. Other than that, the 1210sa is nothing more than a high performance SATA controller.

Given these circumstances, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just try a software raid. Hence my original question, will NASLite ever have an update to support such a function?

Should I maybe try FreeBSD 6.2 and go hardware?

My ultimate goal is to have a 1 Terabyte server done with a 4-way raid (stripped for speed) with a Gigabit network connection. Someday I hope to use it as a network boot appliance as well as general use for high performance computing. I won't always use samba, that is only a stepping stone for now.

I have 4 identical Hitachi 250GB SATA, two 1210SA controllers, and a conflict as to if I should go drop 309 dollars on a high-end controller that does true hardware raid, or wait for software raid to find its way into the file server OSes I'd like to use?

Any thoughts would be appriciated, thank you.