NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:01 pm 

I want to build an NAS Server with RAID1 using two 320 GB Seagate SATA2 hard drives and the ASUS Terminator C3. Will NASLite work with this hardware with a RAID1 configuration? If not, is it possible to run with two SATA hard drives without RAID?

Thank you.

Proposed Hardware:

ASUS Terminator C3
512 MB DDR400 Memory (The manual says that it will work at DDR266.)
CD-RW or DVD-RW Drive
Floppy Drive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

The Terminator C3 does not have hardware RAID, so you will not be able to run your SATA drives in RAID mode, however you can use the SATA drives individually. Due to it's low cost and compact footprint, the Terminator C3 makes for an excellent NASLite-2 machine. I like it enough to use it myself.

Except i boot the USB and have bezel blanks without the CD-ROM. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:24 pm 

Tony,

Does that box hold 4 drives or 2? From the specs it looks like the motherboard supports 2 IDE drives and 2 SATA drives, but the case seems too small for 4 drives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Actually, the board has two IDE connectors and 2 SATA connectors for a total of 6 possible drives. Internally, you have 2 x 3.5” bays and 2 x 5.25” bays. One of the 3.5” bays is occupied by a floppy. I like to keep that in place for BIOS updates, diagnostic utilities or whatever else.

I have 1 drive in the remaining 3.5” bay as well as 3 drives in the 5.25” bays. The nice thing about the Terminator is the huge single BIOS-controlled cooling fan on the back of the chassis. If you vent the faceplates properly the drives will run at about 30-35 without any supplemental cooling.

The low power CPU generates very little heat. The 140W power supply is sufficient for the 4 drives making this a nicely balanced server. A single PCI slot allows one to use a Gigabit NIC if transfer speed is an issue.

The Terminator C3 makes a terrible desktop. The C3 CPU is slow and people tend to bash it a lot. The board bus however is pretty fast and more than adequate for a network server. A barebones TC3 machine can be had for less than $80. That plus RAM, drives and software is all you need for a server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:08 am 

I am confused. How can you put 3 hard drives in the two external 5.25" bays? Please provide more details of your hard drive physical installation.

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:49 am 
Site Admin

http://www.calpc.com/catalog/baycoolers.html

There are many other options out there, but you get the point. Remove the fan from the 3-in-2 mounting tray. It's not necessary... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:57 pm 

Tony,

Thanks for the info. I already have a C3 based NASLite+ server and love the fact that it is quiet, cool, fast and cheap. I am looking at building another C3 based system which is why I asked about the Terminator C3.

I was looking at one of the PCChips C3 boards, do you have any favorites?

I was also looking at this board:

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Produc ... 25&LanID=2

It's Duron based, but it looks like a small fan only and it has the memory built in as well.

Opinions?

Post subject: Throughput?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:35 am 

I just bought a Terminator C3 and installed 512MB RAM.

I'm playing around with a clunker 20GB drive attached via USB and am seeing about 6MB/sec sustained transfer rates (2.47GB copied from NAS to local in about 7min). How much better (if at all) does it get when the drive is installed internally?

What sort of sustained throughput are you guys getting over SMB/CIFS? FTP?