NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:15 pm 

I'd love to be able to get a trial version of the CD to make sure a system will work....but for now, here's what I'm hoping will function. It's an old firewall box that I retired.

M/B - Aopen AX59-Pro
CPU - AMD K62+ 500
Memory - 128MB
Video - Some old Trident AGP card
NIC - Not a concern
Drive Controller - Want to add a SATAI/II controller. Not sure which one. M/B has original version of PCI slots so I'm not even sure what's available out there that would work. Or...may just use one of those PATA->SATA adapters (DON'T want to buy any more PATA drives).

Also...if I purchase now a version, either USB or CDROM, and the new HDD version comes out later, can I transfer my license to HDD when available?

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:19 pm 

Hi ck42,

I don't see any reason as to why the Naslite wouldnt run on your hardware, I am sure some helpful soul would post info on a idea sata card there are plenty on the hardware ref manual.

I am sure you can't transfer the license, each license is tied to the type of version of naslite CDD or USB. Correct me if i am wrong. But once you purchase a version you are entitled to a discount on the other naslite products. I can't remember the savings now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:31 pm 

Thanks for the response, gaiden.

Definitely hope this box will work.
Would really like to hear some PCI v1.0 SATA II controller recommendations!!

[EDIT]

Just realized....this old Super Socket 7 m/b is one of those with a BIOS that only recognizes something like 137Gig drives.
Seeing that I've never had to use a plug-in drive controller before, do these controller boards somehow negate this BIOS limitation?

If not, that's a MAJOR show stopper seeing that I plan on using a much larger drive than the BIOS can handle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:16 pm 

Looks like I found answers to my own questions:

Using a PCI drive controller WILL eliminate the 137Gig barrier...no matter the limitations in the BIOS.

Found a regular ol' plain jane PCI SATA II RAID controller card from Addonics for not too much $. Is PCI v1.0 compatible it says and even does SATA II RAID 0, 1, 10, 1+S, 5 or JBOD configuration. :P :P

.....now, just need to figure out how to boot and store configs for NASLite2 using CF :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:59 am 

Software RAID, which probably is what that controller provides, is not supported in NASLite. Just so you know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:28 am 

Hi ck42,

Naslite can bypass the bios limit, just go to the bios and select none for the hard drives.

To use a CF card with Naslite you will need to use the usb version of naslite plug the Cf reader to the usb port of Motherboard usb header. put in the Cf card power up and boot the naslite usb CD program the CF card with the version you need like superfloppy if you MB does not support usb booting, set the bios to boot either from Usb or Floppy (kicker) the config is saved to the CF card.

note some Card Readers dont work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:07 pm 

Can anyone tell me if this RAID card will work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6816102036

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:16 pm 

thanks for the info, gaiden.

I'm really wanting to be able to use the CF card as an IDE device though. Is there any reason why the system would not boot if I created a bootable CF card on a CF/IDE adapter?

I'd still need to find a way to save the configs though w/o using a floppy..but am wondering if this can even be gotten around by using some sort of adapter on the floppy controller....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:10 am 

You dont need to save the config to a floppy. its saved to the CF card.

look here.

http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/vi ... b51be98632

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:05 am 

perfect thread, gaiden. Looks like I'll be able to do pretty much exactly what I want using the USB version.

Would be nice if there was a FAQ entry for this type of setup. I realize that the info is all there....but it's sort of scattered about and you have to find the bits and pieces in the main manuals available. We need an entry titled something like "How-To Booting from and saving to a CF".

....next, I hope I can find a 32-bit PCI SATA2 RAID1 (or PCI-X that supports 32-bit PCI) controller that is compatible.
I looked through the HCL, and it list many SATA RAID cards, but does that absolutely mean that the RAID portion of the controller is also supported???

How do I know if the card that says it's a RAID card is actually a hardware RAID card or a software one?

Anyone?