NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: small shutdown problem
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:24 pm 

Running NASLite2 USB on a 99 vintage Compaq. It's old enough that it doesn't automatically power down after a shutdown. In it's Windows days the last thing displayed was a screen telling me to press the power button.

With NASLite I can shutdown the software and verify it's down because it doesn't respond to telenet or http and the drives spin down. What's interesting is:
- I can still ping it successfully (probably because the network card is still powered)
- at some random time (anywhere from 5-30 minutes) after the "shutdown" NASLite software will restart.

Once I remote the NAS box the software restart could cause a problem if I shut it down and it restarts before I get to actually power it down. Any ideas what's causing the restart and how to prevent it? Or is this just an artifact of the old box that I'll have to live with until I get a newer old PC to work with?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:16 pm 

azjerry wrote:
With NASLite I can shutdown the software and verify it's down because it doesn't respond to telenet or http and the drives spin down. What's interesting is:
- I can still ping it successfully (probably because the network card is still powered)
- at some random time (anywhere from 5-30 minutes) after the "shutdown" NASLite software will restart.

The fact that it responds to a ping indicates that the OS is still running - network cards will not respond to a ping simply because they are powered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:10 pm 

The OS looks off to me.

The last few lines on the screen are:

The system is halted. Press reset or turn power off.
flushing ide devices: hda hdc hdd
Power down.

At this point I can still successfully ping the NAS box:
c:\>ping nas

Pinging nas [192.168.0.21] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.21: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.21: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.21:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 0ms

I don't have a keyboard hooked up so I don't know if it responds to keyboard input but it is not responsive to telnet or http. Right now I'm waiting to see how long until it restarts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:48 pm 

The ping is the NIC responding to the request to turn the packet back to the sender.

Go ahead and kill the thing, your OK.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:46 pm 

I figured the ping wasn't a problem. I was just surprised that it worked without an OS running.

I mistyped the second mystery which where my real question lies. What happens is that once the OS shuts down, I press and hold the power button for four seconds or so until the power shuts off. At some random time later, the PC turns on again. I had it plugged into a surge suppressor.

I've now plugged it into UPS for my PC to see if that will help prevent it from turning itself on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:58 pm 

Hello azjerry:

Go through all the BIOS screens and make sure there isn't an option to "WAKE ON ..." (like "Wake on LAN"), and that (if it exists) an option to "After PowerFail" is turned to "Stay OFF".

You might also have a flaky power supply in the computer that is reacting to a surge ... are all the 110V ( I assume you're in NorthAmerica) power cables 3 prong (as opposed to an intermediate two-prong type between the computer's PSU and the wall outlet) ?

:) Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:06 pm 

There's a very limited number of options in the BIOS and non related to wake on LAN or anything else related to the power.

I do have the standard North American 3 connector power cord. It was plugged into a surge protected outlet on my UPS which, I assumed, would prevent it from waking due to a surge. I've since rearranged and plugged it into one of the battery/surge outlets on the same UPS to see if that helps. So far it hasn't restarted.

--edit--
I spoke to soon. It just restarted on it's own. Next I'll power down pull the network cable to see if that's what's waking it up.

-- edit 2--
Pulling the network cable didn't do it either. It still powered up by itself. It appears something is odd in the power supply.