NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Noob Pre-sales Question
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:37 am 

Hi i have just bought a Mac and want to use my existing PC now as a NAS, a couple queries if i can please.

My pc has an Asus A8V motherboard (64bit 939 AMD) Specs:
http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q3/as ... dex.x?pg=1

I dont see the Marvell ethernet on the Naslite hardware list, will it work its a 12mths old motherboard so i would assume it would?
Also the Promise raid is ok on the list but i dont see the Via raid chipset on the hardware list? Again will that work?

Sorry for being a Noob, but clearly dont want to purchase software to find it wont work my system. I hope and planned to have 3 SATA drives, 2 on the via raid as raid-0 1 on the promise as IDE drive. And 1 normal ide/ata hard drive?

One final thing, does Naslite work also via WiFi ? i had planned to have my MAc connect to NAS via ethernet as same room, but we have 2 other pcs in home on Wi-Fi and would be great to let them access NAS.

Hope you can help, before i make a purchase and hope.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:08 pm 

Thst is way more processor than NASLite needs.

I think that there are drivers for the marvel chipset but check the hardware guide.

The RAID function may not work on the MB as RAID in those chipsets is usualy implemented in the drivers for a RAID 0, 1 and 1+0. The drives will just be there to be mounted like they are on a regulare controler.

Yes it will work with your WiFi connection. Mine works just fine on my network.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:34 pm 

Thanks Mike, i appriecate the PC is very fast and more than adequate, just seems like a good way to use my old PC as i have 3-4 drives kicking about.
If all goes well i may sell mb/cpu/ram and get an older pc for NAS

I have bought NAslite 2 cdd now so heres hoping i can figure it out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:48 pm 

RTFM and post here if you get stuck, it ain't to bad to get working. You will find that it hauls ass and is VERY stable. You will nof be dissapointed.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:53 pm 

Already having problems sadly :(
I follow all instructions on Naslite 2-CDD version, get to step 7 of install in manual when it says about unlocking via HTTP ??
Not being an expert and also being new to Mac OS i thought i should go to server address?So i kept trying

http://192.168.1.1 which was default network address, but my mac browser still comes up with page not found? I know the cable etc is good as i had MAc talking to XP ok before i tried Naslite?

Bit confused on setting up the networking, i finding the manual not tooo noob friendly, refering to http and gateways which i know very little about!

If anyone can help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:40 pm 

Hi,

Are you still having networking issues with your NASLite ?

If so (and I don't know what your networking knowledge is like, so excuse me if you have already tried this) you need to ensure that all of the devices on you network use the same subnet.

That is if your NASLite box is 192.168.1.1 then the MAC and any other network devices should be also on the 192.168.1.x network (just increment the x as you add devices to the network)

Also check the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

You also need to ensure that the gateway address on the NAS box points to the IP address of the device which is directly connected to the internet.

I hope this helps..

Mdub

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:32 pm 

you can leave the gateway option blank, and its not needed to use naslite on the network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:13 pm 

Just to add a caveat to that advice.

In most home networks gaiden is absolutely correct however i have seen some dual wireless/wired routers that put the two different mechanisms by default in two DMZs (heavens knows why and its rare rare rare). To be safe enter the gateway if you are using a mixture of wired and wireless on your network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:44 pm 

Gaiden is absolutely correct - no caveats needed regardless of what router is used.

Quote:
you can leave the gateway option blank, and its not needed to use naslite on the network.

The only time a default gateway is needed is to move traffic off of the network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:47 am 

Not meaning to be picky about my peers but most users think a network is a collection of cables and don't know about subnetting etc.

I would say it would be better to always recommend entering the DG as its a good habit to get into and makes the system more reliable in general accross the userbase as a whole.

Again apologies I am not being picky just for the sake of it i think its a good policy thats all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:59 pm 

I'll grant you that there are a lot of people out there who are totally clueless about subnetting, but, the default gateway is not a requirement for a pure local are network and in no way contributes to (or detracts from) reliability - in fact, on a LAN with an external connection, not entering the default gateway allows you to isolate a device from external access since you break the return path, and in such a case, it may be desireable to leave the entry blank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:11 am 

I was just pointing out that for naslite to function you dont't have to have a IP in the gateway field, a new user may assume that you are required to insert a gateway IP for naslite to function.

refering to mdub's post "You also need to ensure that the gateway address on the NAS box points to the IP address of the device which is directly connected to the internet. "