NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ready Built Servers
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:02 pm 

This has probably been asked before but are http://www.serverelements.co.uk anything to do with the developers of this software? Or are they riding on the success of this excellent product with what seems quite expensive ready made options.
Expensive in relative terms of what the average person can assemble and have working in an evening!

Apologies to Server Elements if this a subsidary.

rgds Mont

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:18 pm 

The product page shows an admin screen which looks exactly like NASLite. It does look like a ready made NASLite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

We are aware of them and have nothing to do with them. I'm wondering what version of NASLite they have on those, I would hope it's the free floppy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

This is definitely illegal and also a rip-off. :wink:

http://www.ebix.co.uk/shop/index.php?searchStr=naslite
http://www.ebix.co.uk/shop/accessories/ ... od_545.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:47 pm 

Sorry to see, you know it had to happen.

The boxes that those dick wads are selling are crap. Look at the pics they have up, they are PATA drives and they don't have the ribbon cables in the box to make the insides look clean. My advice is that you no longer give away a free version. $29.00 is very reasonable for the product and should not cause any trouble for those in need of an OS like this. Also the unlock code is no big deal, works and provides you with a bit of protection. I am sure that I could break it with a bit of effort and so could many others. But the cost of NASLite makes it a waste of time and effort. That's the great part of opperating at the price point you are working at.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

I know, and you are right. I suppose no one pirates crappy software. The Server Suite is all over the torrent sites thanks to someone who purchased it and went ahead and released it. The funny thing is he used his own CC and released it with an info file containing the same unique symbol found on his website. DNS records took care of the rest, so we are very clear on whom, where and how.

The unlock in v2 is the only deterrent to hopefully prevent people from devaluing the product by doing illegal crap like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Network-Attached-St ... dZViewItem

Anyway, I’m hopeful that in the feature people will be more respectful of our work.

Thanks for the words of support ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:38 am 

Its a sad fact of life that there will always be leeches ripping off other peoples hard work. On the bright side I would guess 95% of us have built our own Naslite boxes in various guises without any major problems. The active forums give the answer to most issues or are directly addressed by Server Elements themselves. Bet the rip off cloners do not ANY give tech support!
Do the maths, look at the cost of the components, software (your own time) and why would you buy a ready made rip off!

Mont

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:07 am 

I have considered making boxes and selling them using NL2.0. If I could get a deal on a bulk of all the parts needed I would. They are great storage options for the general home user. I would also buy a license for each one I sold. Simple and cheap, why wouldn't you do this?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:52 am 
Site Admin

mikeiver1 wrote:
I have considered making boxes and selling them using NL2.0. If I could get a deal on a bulk of all the parts needed I would. They are great storage options for the general home user. I would also buy a license for each one I sold. Simple and cheap, why wouldn't you do this?

Mike

We do offer blocks of license IDs at discounted rates for this purpose specifically. My problem with the guy on ebay is not that he's selling NASLite bundled with his hardware but rather that he has not paid for any licenses.

We'd be more than happy to discuss bulk license purchases with anyone interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:05 pm 

Have you tried contacting the guy and voicing this to him? He may be an honest seller and step up.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

mikeiver1 wrote:
Have you tried contacting the guy and voicing this to him? He may be an honest seller and step up.

Mike

Ralph did that over one year ago. He stopped short of filing a complaint with ebay, figuring the guy may have a family to feed. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:52 pm 

Charging those prices he is feeding them Caviar.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:59 am 

Hy Ralph,

That is sad to read, but we al see that crap coming, didnt we ;-)
Here some points to think about...

Ralph wrote:
We are aware of them and have nothing to do with them. I'm wondering what version of NASLite they have on those, I would hope it's the free floppy.

He could have used the free Version or a buyed version, because of

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html#SEC1
6. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to these terms and conditions. You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein. You are not responsible for enforcing compliance by third parties to this License.

Have anyone of your crew do some test-picks of this stuff of let me say "hardwarebundelingnasboxes"?

So if I undestand this right these guys are all doing right, or?!
Because Naslite and Co. Uses Software licensed under the GPL. I mentioned this before, but my intention sadly don't get through! I don't wan't to wake sleeping dogs, but serverelements should think strongly about this point! See Point 2.b of the GPL. I Don't see any "working" History, any coment on how the GPL-licensed Software is modified, any link to the source code of NasLite-2.

On the last Point I can be wrong, because I don't buy that thing (it could hopefully be on the CD, no further Infos about this stuff, etc.) but that point could be discussed internaly, never mind.

Noone can stop someone to build a NasLite Box ready to use and sell them. He only had to mentioned "I build it with naslite". Anybody could buy only ONE Naslite-2 what-ever and could Build several boxes with it. See GPL!

These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole. If
identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program,
and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in
themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those
sections when you distribute them as separate works. But when you
distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based
on the Program, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of
this License, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the
entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote it.

Could Naslite or Naslite-2 run without the other GPL-licensed Parts? Then I would give you right, otherwise I would see Naslite and also Naslite-2 as licensed under GPL. Then we have the old problem ;-)
So, lets all think about this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:02 am 
Site Admin

wonderer wrote:
He could have used the free Version or a buyed version, because of

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html#SEC1

No Wonderer, your wrong again. And I don't think I need to rehash this GPL discussion for you, we've covered this in detail in the past with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:55 am 

I remember you now. You had your pal worst-case do the dirty work :)
http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29

After all this time, you still don't get it! If server elements builds an airplane using a GPL engine, they don't have to give you the plans for the plane. Only the plans for the engine as used by the plane.

You need to go back and reread the GPL. Also pay attention to a thing called the LGPL. Then take a look at uclibc.

Enjoy the read 8)

Here are a few words from the clergy themselves
http://lists.gnumonks.org/pipermail/leg ... 00040.html