NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:30 pm 

Ralph wrote:
We are aware of them and have nothing to do with them. I'm wondering what version of NASLite they have on those, I would hope it's the free floppy.

I don't see a floppy drive in the pictures....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:40 pm 

Just thinking about wonderer’s post over the weekend, so I have an idea for Server Elements. :lol:

Quote:
Noone can stop someone to build a NasLite Box ready to use and sell them. He only had to mentioned "I build it with naslite". Anybody could buy only ONE Naslite-2 what-ever and could Build several boxes with it. See GPL!

Ralph and Tony can get or buy a copy of Astaro Security Linux or EnGarde Secure Linux, change it’s name to Server Elements Security Linux and sell it for half of what Astaro or Guardian Digital is charging. I bet they’ll make a killing. Better yet, they’ll totally kill the competition at their own game. There is nothing like free market in the spirit of the GPL.

Wonderer dude, what are you on man? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:31 pm 

The source code for the kernel and the other apps that run on it are available from their web site. What we pay for is the programing of the interface and the configuration as well as the scripts and tunning of the NAS package as a whole. Add the cost of the site and forum and the cost of distro and the cost of the financial transaction and it is a damm fair price if you ask me.

GPL applies here as far as the original code and any mods they make to it. It does not cover the interface programing and scrips and the HTML coding that they developed on thier own.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:39 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
GPL applies here as far as the original code and any mods they make to it. It does not cover the interface programing and scrips and the HTML coding that they developed on thier own.

Mike

My point exactly. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:51 pm 

People like wonderer really do cause more problems than they think they are solving. I really hate that crap. Like the general opinion of the freenas people, it’s good only if it’s free. Even if it really sux, that’s ok, it’s free! Everything should be free for all, and we all should hold hands and sing kumbayah!

Found this while hopping about on google - perfect example of the ignorant leading the confused.

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... _qdr%3Dall

Not sure who the players are by my bet is that LittleH and wonderer sleep in the same bed.

I know I may sound obsessive at times but shit like that ruins great works. The server elements guys are not ripping anyone off. All they are doing is making a low cost, kick ass product that Joe average can afford and use. I don’t see dell, ibm, sun, novel, and any other corporate monopoly ever dumping cash into a project such as naslite. Yet they all surely contribute resources to kernel, samba, nfs, and other projects in order to make them fit.

Naslite carries a-per copy cost wonderer. It does so in compliancy with the GPL. Anyone that distributes naslite without permission is in violation of the server elements license.

Get over it :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:47 pm 

Old thread between a couple of Idiot germans, what more need be said. They have no Idea of how the GPL works, there is a link to the GPL source code used for the package, it just does not include the propritary stuff. As it should be.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

It's really sad these people don't understand the GPL, and I'll be honest I misunderstood quite a bit until this was brought up 2 years ago.

But the irony of the whole thing? These people who make the GPL violation claims against me, you never see them go after the people selling it illegally, just goes to show you the hypocrosy of these false claimers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:28 am 

Regarding that box on Ebay....

Certainly not condoning what he's doing and don't want to bring any undeserved attention to the seller.

I did notice though that they're using a setup that I was originally really wanting to implement.
Boot from flash card and save configs to flash card.

I've even got the little IDE->Flash adapter ready to go.
Is this just a matter of adding in the appropriate kernel drivers?

For now..I'm just waiting on the HDD version before purchasing. btw, any updates on an ETA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:42 pm 

Hi guys I'm new to this forum, and I'd like to bring my point of view to this story. I tend to disagree to what is said below about the fact that a version of NasLite was torrented. I think you're looking at this the wrong way: free software is the way to go if you want to become popular and build a community. This is exactly what Bill Gates understood many years ago by making sure everybody could pirate his software. He's a genius not because of his crappy software, but because he understood the very concept of freeware AND implemented it on a large-scale before everybody else. He made sure all campuses in the world had students using Word and Office and knew that eventually those students would become employees in companies who would buy the licensed version.

This can be applied to NasLite and most software out there. Eventually, you'll gain an important marketshare. In the meantime, to generate revenue, all you have to do is convince your banker of this business model. Isn't it exactly what most of the Web 2.0 Ajax sites are doing? Would you like me to list 200 sites that are presently free and that offer similar functionalities as traditional software? Isn't it also what Google has done for years now?

Free software, end of story! Yet they make revenues with it - a start would be to add Google Ads on your site. Some people do it in a very nice way without defacing the site. And to be honest, your site doesn't have the greatest graphic design ever. So a few more ads won't hurt it, and I'm sure that the NasLite community wouldn't be insulted by this.

Anyways, enough said. A painful flame hopefully will not ensue.

Regards,
Maldoror

Tony wrote:
The Server Suite is all over the torrent sites thanks to someone who purchased it and went ahead and released it. The funny thing is he used his own CC and released it with an info file containing the same unique symbol found...

The unlock in v2 is the only deterrent to hopefully prevent people from devaluing the product by doing illegal crap like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Network-Attached-St ... dZViewItem

Anyway, I’m hopeful that in the feature people will be more respectful of our work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:54 am 

I've heard your point about "piracy is good for the software" from thousand other people. The jury is still out on that one. Yeah, and try pitching an ajax word processor to a corporate institution, a school district or a small business. What you'll find is Microsoft Office and Outlook.

FreeNAS is free software. Take a look at that splendid work of abstract art. I still can't figure out what the heck it is.

All I'm saying is there is no one formula for success here. The most important element that can make a product successful is it's quality. Other than that it's anyone's guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:17 am 

I agree completely that there is no one formula for success. I'd like to ask a question about piracy: don't you think that if companies really didn't want people to pirate their software they'd have some sort of effective mechanism in place? What I'm seeing is that most of them aren't even trying to prevent piracy. There could be hundreds of imaginative ways to implement original piracy protection - but I see very little efforts in that direction.

dimension wrote:
I've heard your point about "piracy is good for the software" from thousand other people. The jury is still out on that one. Yeah, and try pitching an ajax word processor to a corporate institution, a school district or a small business. What you'll find is Microsoft Office and Outlook.

FreeNAS is free software. Take a look at that splendid work of abstract art. I still can't figure out what the heck it is.

All I'm saying is there is no one formula for success here. The most important element that can make a product successful is it's quality. Other than that it's anyone's guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:29 pm 

Maldoror,

You must have already fogotten about the .COM crash in 2000-2001? The "give it away and they will eventually pay" business model has already been proven wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:52 pm 

Why should there be a need for hundreds of imaginative ways to implement original piracy protection? Are you suggesting that if my house is unlocked it’s ok for you to move in? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:25 pm 

We have yet to see a copy protection that has not be cracked.. if there was a way to develop an uncrackable copy protection it would be out already. Can you imagine how much money a company with such a product would cash in? But as long as it can be cracked, why bother investing in it? Most companies seem to settle with a protection that prevents joe on the street to burn a copy for his mates.