NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:36 pm 

Currently the best option I have found is to go for the 4channel Adaptec 2410sa but as I only really need 2 channels I was wondering if I can get away with something cheaper. Appriciate the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:53 pm 

I Think the Silicon Image chipset based cards work just fine if you just want to add a couple of SATA ports. That is the chip maker that the cheap non hardware RAID Adaptec cards use.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:20 am 

Topic is "Recommendations for a 2channel hardware SATA raid card" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:09 am 

Again, most of the cheap cards out there are based on the Silicon Image chips. They seem to wrork just fine. I have an Adaptec 1210SA which is based on the Sil3112. They call it a RAID card but in reality the RAID functionality is part of the driver. It will only function as a SATA interface card in NL2.x. It does work though there are far cheaper cards out there that use the same chipset and function just the same. Most of the cards you find will only be software based for the 2 port RAID function as it takes little or no hardware to implement. The 3ware cards are about the only makers that come to mind as claiming to be HARDWARE based.

Is that enough recomendation for you or would you like me to go shopping for you as well?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:39 am 

What part of "HARDWARE SATA RAID" is it that you fail to comprehend? Did I ask for a software based card with two SATA ports? I believe not, yet you keep recommending one, doing it with an uppity attitude at that. I didn't believe I could make it any more clear but let me try. What I am looking for a is a HARDWARE SATA RAID card with 2 ports. I dont want a 3112 SiL based board with absolutely no raid function in NASLite. You doing my shopping? Sheesh you cant even read! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:28 am 
Site Admin

C’mon guys, I’m sure Mike has only good intentions ;-)

The 2410sa uses an Intel processor I think. The Silicon Image chip drives the SATA ports only and the card should work with the AAC driver. I think however that the confusion is introduced by your request for a 2-port device. I think Mike is correct in pointing out that such device will likely not be hardware RAID. I’m not aware of any SATA hardware RAID cards that offer 2 ports only.

Hope that helps…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:33 am 

Tony wrote:
C’mon guys, I’m sure Mike has only good intentions ;-)

The 2410sa uses an Intel processor I think. The Silicon Image chip drives the SATA ports only and the card should work with the AAC driver. I think however that the confusion is introduced by your request for a 2-port device. I think Mike is correct in pointing out that such device will likely not be hardware RAID. I’m not aware of any SATA hardware RAID cards that offer 2 ports only.

Hope that helps…

If this "mike" character represent the company selling the product, I will take my money elsewhere. Ppl that dont know how to communicate to potential customers without giving them attitude should look for a new job.

I asked for 2port hardware based solution and "mike" refers to software based cards on two ocassions :S Oh well, guess some people are just so eager to point fingers that they cant even read a topic. Either way I found what I was looking for:

http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata8000.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

Mike is not affiliated with Server Elements, but has been using our products for a fair amount of time. A short search will reveal that he’s also a regular contributor to the forum and has proven to be knowledgeable and very helpful. Take this for what it’s worth and excuse the misunderstanding.

Thank you for supporting Server Elements and welcome to the forum ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:12 pm 

Hiya,

I too was on the lookout for a 2-port SATA hardware RAID card, but decided to get the Adaptec 2410sa. I did however find this page that may help in your quest. http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html. It was meant for linux based pc's that needed SATA RAID, and lists a good few cards and whether they are hardware / software RAID.

As mentioned above, most cards use the Silicon Image controllers for SATA ports to be provided on a PC, but some (like the Adaptec 2410sa) use them simply as a SATA interface to the RAID controller on the card. My card uses 2 to provide the 4-ports on the card. I am still awaiting the card to be delievered, and will update you on its performance when I get it and my HD's installed.

For the record I am a complete novice to unix / linux, and will let you know how easy it was to configure the device. My main reasons for the choice of this card was down to following: -

1 - SATA I & II compatability - Great for upgrading to new SATA II HD's with Native Command Queueing
2 - Hardware RAID - Neccessary for RAID feature in NASLite v2.x
3 - RAID levels 0,1,5,10,JBOD - Supports most common RAID levels.
4 - Optimized Disk Utilization - Enables you to use the full capacity of all your drives, even if drive sizes vary.
5 - Online Capacity Expansion - Allows you to expand the capacity of your RAID. e.g. turn a 2x 250Gb RAID 0 array into a 4x 250Gb RAID 0 array without losing information!
6 - Online RAID Level Migration - Lets you change RAID levels without rebuilding your array from scratch. Perfect for upgrading from RAID 0 to RAID 10 or 5 when more drives are available.

As you can see there are plenty of features the card provides, and I am looking to use it to provide a NAS box with 1TB in a RAID 10 config (4x500GB SATAII drives).

I hope this info helps, and like I said will provide any feedback from the card / setup.

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:57 pm 

OK superAHOLE, Here you go. 3ware® 8006-2LP 2-port SATA RAID Controller

There are no True 2 port HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE
RAID cards out there besides the one I just put up as far as I know.

There are only 4 types of RAID function supported with a pair of drives. RAID0, RAID1, RAID0+1, and in some cases JBOD. These are implemented in the software drivers for far less and with little or no hit in performance. Hardware is wasted in this application.

I normaly would refer you to other helpful information and maybe supply links to vendors but this is all your going to get from me. Your attitude sucks and I am only posting this for others that may happen to read this thread.

I do in fact NOT WORK FOR in any way, shape, form or fashion for Server elements. I do like the product and promote it when I can.

For all others out there You are far better off not wasting your time chasing a 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID 2 PORT HARDWARE RAID card and just buying a 4 port hardware RAID card. You will also get the functionality of the above mentioned RAID levels and will also get RAID4, RAID5, RAID50, and maybe RAID6 depending on the product.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:58 am 

mikeiver1 wrote:
OK superAHOLE, Here you go. 3ware® 8006-2LP 2-port SATA RAID Controller

Again if you read my previous post you see that I've already BLOCKED_WORD to this product....

mikeiver1 wrote:
There are only 4 types of RAID function supported with a pair of drives. RAID0, RAID1, RAID0+1, and in some cases JBOD. These are implemented in the software drivers for far less and with little or no hit in performance. Hardware is wasted in this application.

Not sure how you've failed to see this, you being a longtime NASLite user, but softwarebased RAID is not supported in NASlite which is why your suggestion is not very useful at all to any NASLite user.

Thanks for demonstrating your willingness to help others by spamming the thread with nonsense. You may go back to your corner now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:58 pm 

Ooooh My, you are so smart and funny. If you are the boss of some poor workers they must truly be in hell. Your condescending attitude really sucks to high heaven. Add to this that you must truly be one of the more ignorant persons I have had the displeasure of interacting with a very great while and you get my A-Hole of the year award. :thebirdman: (if the emoticon doesn't show just look it up)

It would appear that you are ahead of me in the hardware area and know so much more so I will defer to your obviously superior knowledge of all things hardware and make no further post. It is quite obvious that I don't know anything about RAID cards. I will just have to settle with my Fibre channel RAID setup, 28 drives, Fibrechannel Switch, and hardware RAID card. I will commit to learning all that can be learned from a person of such superior hardware and software know how as yourself.

I now return to my corner were I will *****bate, a far more enjoyable practice than interaction with the likes of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:49 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
"Is that enough recomendation for you or would you like me to go shopping for you as well?"

Ring any bells? I asked a simple question yet you replied with an incorrect answer and a ridiculously childish comment. I dont care how many drives you have in your RAID setup, you failed to reply even in a semi-mature way and you were wrong to boot! But hey whatever, you totally nailed it and I'm the one with the attitude problem :roll:

mikeiver1 wrote:
"OK superAHOLE, Here you go."

"Ooooh My, you are so smart and funny. If you are the boss of some poor workers they must truly be in hell. Your condescending attitude really sucks to high heaven. Add to this that you must truly be one of the more ignorant persons I have had the displeasure of interacting with a very great while and you get my A-Hole of the year award."

"I now return to my corner were I will *****bate, a far more enjoyable practice than interaction with the likes of you."

Even though you failed to provide me with any useful information whatsoever, I'll give you a piece of advice. Try selling some of your 28 (wow, quite a feat indeed! :lol:) drives and take a class in self-insight. It would make this world a better place. Tata for now!