NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:46 pm 

If anyone's had good or bad results with this host controller, please let me know:

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/h ... /ASH-1233/

I don't see it listed in the NASLite-2 Hardware Reference Guide, but I'm not sure what chipset it uses, so I can't reference the chipset (until I get home, this evening).

I already have this card on hand and I'm thinking of either putting it in my existing NASLite+ box (although I just read in the link below that PCI IDE host controllers aren't supported ... right?), or upgrading to NASLite-2 and putting it in there.

http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/vi ... 7ffab650dc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:52 pm 

Promising news. I found the Adaptec card, looked at the chip and it has the characters "Sil0680" on it, so it appears to be supported by the Sil IDE Driver listed in the NASLite-2 Hardware Reference Guide.

I'd like to know if the community thinks it would be worthwhile for me to upgrade from NASLite+ to NASLite-2 to address my current UDMA/66 bottleneck (all my IDE HDDs are 133 but are limited to 66 due to the motherboard).

Right now I'm getting about 9.7 MB/s read, 11.1 MB/s write. Would it be expected for these speeds to improve? If so, about by how much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:15 pm 

The 133MB speed of the bus is in theory, not practical. The drives arn't even capable of outputting more than around 20-30MB/sec and that is if you are doing a sequential read. If it is a random read then the performance is far worse. Also sounds like you're on a 100Mb network so the faster interface will not bring any real gains to you. There are drives out there that will flood the interface if you hung a pair off of the same ATA channel and hit them both hard at the same time but are you doing this? I would be inclined to upgrade the network to Gigabit first and then look at the HDDs and their interface.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:32 pm 

Yep, everything's connected to a 10/100 Linksys switch.

I'm not sure if I'm doing what you mentioned. What kind of drives "flood the interface"? Is flooding a good or bad thing, heh? If it helps, my NASLite+ system specs are here:

http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/vi ... fa3a9e201b

My NASLite+ box is used for my home network. I stream mp3s to an AudioTron and stream video to GeeXboX. Besides that, I move mp3 and video files to (more than from) NASLite+ from other machines. Considering this, do you think that moving to Gigabit is unnecessary for my "application".

Thanks for your input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:53 pm 

Flooding in this case would meen that you have reached the limits of the bus that both of the drives are hanging off of. there are very few drives that could do this, if any in the ATA interface after the cache drains so it doesn't matter. None of the drives you have are anything special so it is also a mute point.

Now as far as upgrading to Gigabit that would depend on what you are doing now and plan on in the future. If you have no problems with dropouts in video or MP3s then the answer is likely no. You have a very good card in the NAS box which explanes why you get rather good transfer rates already for a 100Mb network. If you cared about long transfer times then I would say go with the Gigabit. Mind you it is a slippery slope on which you stand at that point. It will expose all the other short falls of the hardware you have and get you thinking of RAID and TeraBytes of storage and ..........

Oh, sorry. If it works and you can't find real fault with it then leave it.

Mike