NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:16 am 

Ok

WARNING WARNING ..... I'm A NEWB.

Now thats out of the way.... o_O

Ok here is the comp i have squirelled away..

500 MHz Intel Pentium (R) III processor
128mb SDRAM
Cache Primary 32 KB
Level 2 512 KB (on processor)

Has floppy and CD Rom Drive

Drive Bays
3.5-inch external 1
3.5-inch internal 1
5.25-inch external 2
5.25-inch internal 1
Combo external 1

BIOS
Phoenix 4.06 rev 1.06

This info was taken from here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... e=bph04899

Anyway i just got offered a few for free from a mate 320gb Seagate 7200rpm 16M Cache HDD.... so first question do i get IDE or ATA for this comp?

2nd Question...
Is this comp bootable from USB.... i hate floppy disks

3rd Question once i buy a network card (100mb) and plug it into my wireless router what do i have to do to my fiances XP and my Mac to make the drives show up on our computers?? Are these HDD's accessable just like ones in our computer eg pretty icon and drag and drop?

Ok so i told u i was a newb didn't i? lol this is my first inside a computer experience and i don't wanna wreck it so yeah

Anyway thanks heaps to anyone who replies

Mitch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:48 am 

".... so first question do i get IDE or ATA for this comp?"

IDE and ATA are the same thing you noob! Just having fun with you. The interface cards are now refered to as ATA cards. You should be able to get a good one that will work great for around $20.00.

"2nd Question...
Is this comp bootable from USB.... i hate floppy disks."
That depends on the BIOS but I would guess no. You want the CD-ROM version of NL2.02 so it can boot off of the CD-ROM and only store the config on the floppy.

"3rd Question once i buy a network card (100mb) and plug it into my wireless router what do i have to do to my fiances XP and my Mac to make the drives show up on our computers?? Are these HDD's accessable just like ones in our computer eg pretty icon and drag and drop?"
You should be able to just "map network drive" the drives to the desktop or the root folder under the my computer in window in MicroShafts OS. there is also the same type of tool in the Mac OS but the name escapes me right now.

Have fun, you have a very good machine for a NASLite box there.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:20 am 

MitchH311 wrote:
Anyway i just got offered a few for free from a mate 320gb Seagate 7200rpm 16M Cache HDD.... so first question do i get IDE or ATA for this comp?
Could you be mistaken for SATA these are the newer Hard Drives, SATA HD's would require you to purchase a controller card to run these. PATA would just plug in and with your current machine you could have four of these (depending on which version of naslite you purchase?)

Quote:
2nd Question...
Is this comp bootable from USB.... i hate floppy disks

Good question, if it don't you can always use a kicker floppy this you boot first and it hopefully it will see and load naslite on the usb pen etc.
i got a few kickers you can try plug in your usb pen and boot the floppy if it sees your usb pen then at least your half way there.

Quote:
3rd Question once i buy a network card (100mb) and plug it into my wireless router what do i have to do to my fiances XP and my Mac to make the drives show up on our computers?? Are these HDD's accessable just like ones in our computer eg pretty icon and drag and drop?

in windows you should see the HD's in my network places = workgroup.
you can also map the drives as well.

Whats a MAC? grin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:22 am 

Ok so the harddrives i'm going to get are these http://www.computeralliance.com.au/part ... yPart=6851.

So i should just be able to plug these into the slots in the hardrive that the old harddrive is connected to and it'll be fine? or special slots etc that i ain't seeing?

Also how do you guys go bout mounting a 3.5' in a 5.5' slot? as u see there isn't main 3.5' slots.

basically i'm just going to be adding them one at a time when i fill one up.... I'll have no problem with this using Naslite+ 2? I'll probably stick with cd rom for now and upgrade my mother board etc in a big splurge in a while and go usb.

Thank you for the help guys
Mitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:50 am 

Yes that link you gave to the hard drive should work. But if your looking on the web your can get a better deal then that!

Right now they have this 320GB for $95.80 with free shipping:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101251

This hard drive is nice. It does run quiet and does not make to much heat like other drives. My NASLite-2 been up over 24 hours and has this hard drive in it. The smart says "TEMP 37°C" I am not sure how hot other hard drives get.

A good way to see if you can boot from USB is go in the BIOS. When the computer is powerd on you press Delete or F1 or F10 over and over. Some BIOS have other keys to go in them and some say what key they are in the bottom left corner when it starts.

In the BIOS go were the boot is. You can find some were to set what one to boot 1st. If USB is listed there you know your mother board with the BIOS can boot from USB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:11 am 

MitchH311 wrote:
So i should just be able to plug these into the slots in the hardrive that the old harddrive is connected to and it'll be fine? or special slots etc that i ain't seeing?

yer just pull out the old HD and set the jumper to master.

Quote:
Also how do you guys go bout mounting a 3.5' in a 5.5' slot? as u see there isn't main 3.5' slots.

you can use a caddy these house the hd and usually provide a fan or two, or you could buy some mounts these allow the hd to go in the bay.

example http://www.vadim.co.uk/Components/Hard+Drives/HD+Caddy

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Tab ... 0&doy=12m9

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:21 am 

Raymond Day wrote:
The smart says "TEMP 37°C" I am not sure how hot other hard drives get.

For your drive the specs are :

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=117

Temperature (English)
Operating 41° F to 131° F
Non-operating -40° F to 149° F

Temperature (Metric)
Operating 5° C to 55° C
Non-operating -40° C to 65° C

my maxtors are usually around 41°C depending what i am doing.