NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:46 pm 

I am planning to build a "very" (with emphasize on "very") inexpensive NAS server for my home. I will consider following items, while building the server.

1. I will use only new parts for building this server.

2. As file server (especially NASLite server) does not require lots of processing power, I will go for minimum required CPU configuration. Same would be true for memory (RAM).

3. As I am planning to use USB version of NASLite (so that I can use 4 ATI drives), I wont add CD Drive and Floopy Drive in my list of items to buy for building this server (just to reduce the material cost).

4. I wont spend any additional money for video card etc., as this box will be used only as file server which is always connected to the network and ON. For initial setup I will use video card, monitor and keyboard - which I will take out before using this box. I wont count those three items in my building cost sheet.

5. My sole purpose would be to build the cheapest machine with all absolutely necessary (and only necessary) parts. I will try to shade any extra fat.

If you did similar home project before, I would need your help. I would really appreciate, if you share your knowledge with me. All I am looking for a list of all required parts (with their corresponding prices) to build this very very inexpensive computer. While mentioning prices, please provide me corresponding links to buy the product. Please let me know, if I need to provide any additional information. Many thanks in advance for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:37 pm 

why would you limit yourself with new parts? The sweet spot for CPU seems to be 300mhz, and any new CPU is overkill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:27 am 
Site Admin

The VIA C3 CPUs are the best for the job if building new. PC-CHIPS and ASUS have inexpensive board/cpu combos that will do well as a NASLite platform.

I use an ASUS C3 Terminator PC as a NASLite server for general storage. Modern VIA chipset with a low-power C3 CPU. At 800MHz, the C3 runs about as fast as a 350MNz PII. Perfect for NASLite.

Take a look at newegg.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:24 am 

Thanks Johnqh, for your input. I have choosed to use new parts only, so that I can repeat my experience learned from this home project (who does not like to have a second file server as good as first one). There is one more reason. There is no limit how low you can go with old parts (you can get a whole machine for as low as $20 from craig list and may be FREE from your Grandma). But that wont help others, who are and will be reading this post and will have similar objective (having a powerful but non-expensive NASLite server).

Thanks Tony, for your input too. Could you please give me the list of items (and their approximate prices) you have used for building your NASLite server (ASUS C3 Terminator PC)? I am going to check NewEgg as well, as you have suggested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:25 am 

I would recommend the Epia mini-itx boards, i'm using an ME6000 fanless board. Nice and quiet with low power consumption, something to consider as it's running 24/7. Boots fine from USB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:22 pm 

psomnath,

Most people will use old PC's for NAS when they upgrade, so building a NAS from new parts as a tutorial to others make no sense.
There is no such thing as "Powerful" NAS, since the bottleneck is 1 network, 2 hard drive. The CPU and RAM really doesn't matter. You can use a Quad Opteron server with massive RAID-0 and it still won't out perform a 300mhz P-2 on a 100 base-t home network, and probably won't out perform a 500 P-3 on a gigabit network.

Search for "Diskwriggler" on this forum and you can get performance benchmarks of different hardware, and you will see my point.

I believe the noise level and power consumption is way more important for home NAS than the system spec. A P3 system consumes about 0.5 amp. A P4 system consumes about 1amp. The cost adds up.