NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:05 am 

If i was to say...

Quote:
There is no way that anyone is going to see any perceptible difference between NASlite using SATA vs. SATA II drives as the bottle neck is the network.

would someone say i was being correct or talking nonsese.

There is not that much of a price point between the two technologies now but a few dollars is a few dollars.

However when you start taking into account the increased price to get RAID with SATAII the price difference is HUGE.

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:58 am 

Your statement is correct and I will even go further.

The HDA of the drive is the bottleneck as well. Having a fat pipe between the drive and the controler is only going to help when you have a transfer from the cache on the drive. Beyond that the limit is the data rate off of and to the HDA. SATA is alot like Serial Attached SCSI SAS. Command caching and the like but it is simplex in its communication where as SAS is Duplex having both a read and write channel. You may see a very marginal improvment in performance due to the channel of the SATAII drive being able to change the data direction faster but I doubt it. Personaly if I were in the market for a fast RAID card I would be looking at the SAS RAID cards. They will take both the SAS drives and the SATA/SATAII drives as this is a part of the standard set forth. The SAS drives are F-in FAST compaired to the SATA drives. As far as the drives go I think I would go the 1.5Gb SATA and spend the money I save on getting a larger drive.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:17 am 

if we had a community faq or wiki i would suggest getting this info into it :)

Thanks very much for the informative response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:33 am 

No problem!

If forgot to add that the SAS RAID controlers are going to be 3Gb/sec as that was the starting point for the SAS standard. Also forgot to add that SAS drives and controlers have a pair of transmit/recieve interfaces on them the same as Fibre Channel drives do for a redundant path to the drive should one of the channels fail. SATA does NOT have this feature. Sata is like the USB interface and SAS is like a pair of firewire interfaces.

This info is very simplified and boiled down for obvious reasons but all are more than welcome to post it where you please if it helps others.

Mike