NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cant Save Config
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:16 pm 

Has anyone had any trouble saving the config settings?

So far I have been able to burn the image to a CD and install the OS on my USB drive. No errors have come up that I am aware of. I am using the floppy kicker that was provided and that seems to work. I get into the ADMIN interface just fine and am able to login with the default admin account. It lets me add my license and it says its valid, but when I try to save the configuration it reports "Configuration settings are not saved ...".

The only time I have been able to save the settings was before I added the license or changed any of the network settings. But this run I have used a freshly wiped floppy and USB drive. Both were repartitioned and formated.

I also have the CD version and it is doing the exact same thing when trying to save the config to a blank floppy.

Does anyone know whats going on here? I did some searching before I posted, but came up blank. I cant believe that I am the first to have this kind of problem. There seems like there are so many people using this that it had to have happened to someone before me.

Let me know id anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:24 pm 

Possibly a 'leaked' serial number?

Contact Server Elements directly would resolve this, if you cant save the config via USB or via the CD-ROM boot options... would to me mean a failure of NAS Lite+ or the usage of a 'illegal'/damaged or 'leaked' serial number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:58 am 

If you have a valid serial number from Server Elements, I would suspect the problem is with the floppy cable or the floppy drive. Make sure the cable isn't backwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:30 am 

Thanks for the replys. I dont understand how it can be a leaked serial number since I just bought both CD and USB versions on June 1, 2006, but I'll contact them as suggested and find out.

As far as the floppy goes, this is a relativly newer computer with a newer floppy. Its keyed both on the motherboard and on the floppy itself. I have already been able to boot a Win98 boot disk in this system so I know everything is working as it should. Besides, in my 15 plus years working with computers it has been my expierence that a computer wont boot if you have floppy turned on in the bios and the cable connected backwards.

Thanks you again for your replys. I'll post back what I find out from Server Elemets.

Post subject: Check your caplock ....
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:38 pm 

I had the same thing when I first started with NasLite ....
it was that I was entering the "Y" for save in the wrong case.
(Too many years with Windoze and I forgot my Unix) :)

Again, look at the screen ana maye sure your YES response is in the right case.
That might just fix it.

Post subject: That worked
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:49 pm 

Thanks for the tip. I did turn capslock on when entering in my liscence. And I left it on when I tried to save and of course it wouldn't. After taking it off it saved just fine.

What a headache. The menu seems to be very misleading here. At the Options menu it shows an uppercase "L" is the selection to enter your liscence, but then a lowercase "L" works there. But then I have this problem when saving.

I know Unix/Linux is case sensative for filenames, but I didn't know about the way this menu worked.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:29 pm 

Glad that helped .....

When it first bit me I was stumped, then I looked closely at the screen and the lower case "y".

In a way it does make sense, since you SHOULD be closely aware of what you are doing when you save your config. Perhaps they set it up that way as a method to prevent users form burning their butts.

As a character app (DOS/UNIX/LINUX) it's actually easier to be case sensative (only check one character not two). If it's any consolation, there are MANY character apps that are very specific about case when you are about to do something that can't be undone.