NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: File Transfer Speed kb/s
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:44 pm 

Okay, how do I figure out what my transfer speed should be? I am using Total Commander to Transfer my ISO collect and it had errors telling me that there was "no space on the disk". I do not know if setting the speed limit will help me yet I can check a box that gives the TC a Speed Limit in kb/s. Here are my NASLite info sheet specs:

Operating System

Linux 2.4.27.NASLite #8 Sat Jan 1 11:12:55 MST 2005 i686

Uptime

13:35:01 up 2:13, load average: 0.04, 0.03, 0.00

Processor (CPU)

vendor_id : GenuineIntel
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
cpu MHz : 2799.957
cache size : 512 KB
bogomips : 5583.66

Memory

total used free shared buffers
Mem: 515488 510328 5160 0 12912

Disks

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Device
System 3.9M 3.4M 507.0k 87% RAM Disk
Storage Area 110.0G 75.2G 34.9G 68% NAS Disk-2

Network Interface

e100: Intel(R) PRO/100 Network Connection
Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:03:47:2F:42:2F
inet addr:192.168.1.199 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:10355733 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:5371250 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:2571175653 (2.3 GiB) TX bytes:311634238 (297.1 MiB)
Interrupt:11 Base address:0xd880 Memory:feafe000-feafe038

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:03 pm 

The no space message sounds like you're trying to put more ISO's on than your disk can hold. Are you sure all your ISO's will fit on the NASLite drive?
If so, you can use the diskwriggler program to see what your "normal" write speeds are. Maybe cut the results you get from diskwriggler in half and enter that in Total Commander and see if that helps.

Post subject: diskwiggler
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:23 am 

Thanks. I need more disk space but I was getting the error regardless if I was copying all or one iso. What parameters do I use for finding out the throughput for the diskwiggler?

Thanks again,
JB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:06 pm 

I use the following:

diskwriggler -NTSC -C -t -n 500 -o y:\

replace the y:\ with the drive letter you've mapped NASLite to. This will write a 333Mbyte file to your NASLite drive and read it back.

It will print out info as it writes and then reads back. After it's done writing it will have a "Write Summary" section that will give you the min/average/max write speeds in FPS and MB/sec. Ignore the FPS numbers. You should see 7MB/sec or better for a typical system on a 100Mb or Gigabit ethernet. If you're on 10Mbit ethernet it may be less.

After you issue the command and diskwriggler completes, there will be a file named "framestream.dat" on your NASLite disk. You can delete this file.

What happens if you just do a drag and drop of the ISO files onto the NASLite drive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:27 pm 

smeyer wrote:
What happens if you just do a drag and drop of the ISO files onto the NASLite drive?

What could cause transfers to be fine with Diskwriggler or other application-driven transfers (e.g. Acronis True Image backups), but NOT OK with File Explorer drag-n-drop or copy-paste?

I know this isn't the right forum for this question, but it relates to NASLite+ and I'm at my wits end.

I've got 3 WinXp systems connected via Gigabit LAN (Netgear GS608 switches) to a NASLite+ box. All systems are using Netgear GA311 NIC's set to use Jumbo Frames. Using DiskWriggler, all systems can transfer to all systems at true Gigabit speeds, with allowances for the motherboard and hdd's. Generally I'm seeing reads of around 30-40MB/sec and writes in the 15-40MB/sec range depending on the system.

But in one case, on my primary WinXP system with the newest and most advanced motherboard (MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum), something really weird is going on.

Using Diskwriggler on the WinXP system, I can read and write to my NASLite+ box at 32-41MB/sec (reads 32MB, writes 41MB). Not too shabby.

BUT if I use drag and drop of a large file from Windows Explorer (e.g. the filestream.dat file leftover from Diskwriggler), reads are still fine at 30-40 MB/sec but writes are only about 1MB/sec (that's right, 1MB/sec -- 10X slower than 100Mb Fast Ethernet and 40X slower than the same file transferred under Diskwriggler). A 349MB filestream.dat test file that I could write to NASLite+ in <10 seconds with Diskwriggler takes 5 MINUTES using drag-n-drop in Windows Explorer.

Here's the really weird part: This behavior occurs ONLY when this WinXP box is writing to the NASLite+. All of the other WinXP systems can write fine to NASLite+, and this WinXP system can write fine to all of the other WinXP boxes. The behavior is unique to these two systems.

I've tried everything I could think of to debug this, including trying 3 different Gigabit NIC's in my WinXP box (nForce4 and Marvell on the MB, and GA311). I did a short crossover cable direct-connect. Just to demonstrate my resolve, I even reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows two different times (thank goodness for Acronis True Image which allowed me to restore my original system in a few minutes). None of these experiments changed the slow transfers.

Tonight I'm going to try installing an Intel gigabit NIC in the NASLite+ box (which I just finally received today), but I doubt it will help and I'm not even sure NASLite+ has drivers for it.

Anyone have any hints as to what may be going on? Any references to other forums or sites that might be helpful?