NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ivalid system disk
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:53 am 

I am a noob and have been reading the forums but can't find the answer to my question. I purchased NASLite+ and burned the ISO to a cd and got it to load just fine. After making the initial changes in the setup I tried to save the new configuration to a floppy and it said the changes were saved but when I reboot the computer with both the floppy and cd inserted I get the error message "Invalid system disk - Replace the disk, and then press any key." If I eject the floppy and reboot, it leads me back to the setup screen where I start the process all over again. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:00 am 
Site Admin

Reboot with the NASLite cd in the cdrom drive and the floppy removed. When the cd starts booting, put the floppy disk in the drive. The floppy must be in the drive after the cd boots, other wise NL doesn't find a configuration and thinks your starting new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:43 am 

Change the Boot-Order in the BIOS. First CD second Floppy.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:46 am 

I have been there with my NASLite+ box in the past when I used the floppy disk version. the floppies are generaly crap and have a hell of a time with the high density format of the disk. I went through 3 or 4 disks before I got one that took. IE. it booted the first time and then after I changed the settings and saved it would boot clean. I finaly built my image on a USB key and then imaged it to a CDROM. I boot from the CDROM and just have the USB key for the saved settings. My computer can't boot from the USB port but will save to it after NASLite is booted so this was my work around the problem with the old box.

Anyway try another disk and re-save your settings again. This will likely fix the problem and if it don't then try yet another disk.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:43 am 

Hey, thanks for all of the suggestions. The first one I tried was to change the boot order in the bios to CD first followed by the floppy and it worked like a charm. I appreciate the help you saved me from a big headache. I am excited to get this thing up and running.