NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installation Problems
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:50 pm 

Hello, I am having problem with NASLite+. The software will not recognize the hard drives. I have changed the BIOS settings so the IDE disks are "not installed". I have tried 2 seagate drives and 2 WD drives to no avail. When the system boots, before the server is loaded it says " Disk-1 Not available", Disk-2 Not available, Disk-3 Not available, Disk-4 Not available. I am using only 3 drives. I have put the jumpers on the hard disks to "master" or "slave" depending on the location.

Can anyone give me some help with this.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:49 pm 

Hello dmart:

In the SYS Log does it report (about 2/3 of the way down) something like "hda: ST3....." ? followed by a line for the other disks ... and then "hda: attached ide-disk driver." ?

If NO, the hardware is not properly recognizing the drives. Try any one or all of the following:
a] AUTO recognizing the drives in BIOS (just temporarily) to make sure the drives are even seen by the motherboard. Then set back to NONE before you reboot NASLite+.
b] Different cables, or
c] verify the the disk drives are good on another PC.

If YES, then at least NASLite+ sees the hardware. So, look at http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=903 for a possible solution.

:) Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:33 pm 

Hi Georg, :)

The drives are recognized in the bios when set to AUTO.

I have a hard time looking at the SYS log as it scrolls through quite fast, the pause key will not stop the scrolling though. I reformated all the drives with an new partition and now they are recognized.

However now I am getting other error messages. But again these scroll through quite quickly. I did pick up that the error message was "e2fsck" "File system is not mountable" now.

I've changed the cable too.

Any other suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:22 pm 

Once NASLite boots up you can use a web browser to see the sys logs. Just type in the IP address of the NASLite box and it will display a web page. Click on the Info link and then on SYS_Log.htm to see your logs in a non-scrolling form :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:15 pm 

Well with a little more tinkering I have been able to get the drives working and everything seems to be fine now.