NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:43 am 

Just curious but will the free version be getting a makeover as well.. mainly as I really like the interface screen above far better than the existing one....

Also, who's keister do I kiss to jump into beta testing here... I love a good bug hunt!

Post subject: clarity
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:14 pm 

Hello,

Can we get some clarity?

Will v2 be able to boot and see External USB or Firewire connect Hard Drives?

Will there be a list somewhere of PCI Cards (I got one that did not work last fall too)?

Thanks,
Jb

Post subject: Re: NASLite v2 teaser
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:17 am 

hello,

Ralph wrote:
v2 will support IDE,SATA,SCSI,USB,Firewire in unlimited drive configurations as well as hardware raid cards.

:D

Thanks for that. looks pretty cool.
Hopefully the features we discussed several times where (all) implemented, a free version of nasLite is aviable, Software Raid and User management (if only possible, ok, then on a Disk-Install-Version) and so on then this would be a great Thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:30 am 

I know this has been said a million times but software raid would be the final killer feature for me.

I have been googling all over the place and with the exception of some clever ebay bids hardware raid cards are just to expensive compared to the cost of all other components. (roughly adding 75% to the price per GB of data storage).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

Software RAID is the buzz that everyone seems to be discussing and wishing for. I think that the primary reason for it is excellent marketing, low hardware pricing and a heafty dose of user inexperience.

- How many of those discussing software RAID have actually used it in a production environment?
- Out of those how many have actually recovered and successfully rebuilt their software RAID from a failed drive without data loss?

Anyone that has actually gone through the exercise will be the first to tell you that the process is not for the faint of heart. The fact of the matter is that software RAID solutions are best implemented when they target certain hardware configurations (vendor-specific solutions), are administered via a GUI of some sort and are generally built and configured with a good handle on the hardware involved. For example, using IDE disks on the same cable in the same array is a NO-NO. Mixing technologies in an array such as USB and SATA drives is a NO-NO, Using multiple USB disks on the same hub on the same array is a NO-NO. The point being that there is a fair amount of understanding that is required to intelligently design, build and operate a software RAID system, especially with older hardware. Even then the technology is touchy at best.

I realize that one of the primary goals behind NASLite is to provide a low-cost solution. We at Server Elements take a lot of pride in being able to provide such a solution, but not in exchange for stability or data integrity. That said, our decision to support only hardware RAID was pretty easy to reach. We figured that if your data is important enough to warrant RAID, then the $150 for a hardware RAID card should not be a point of debate but a must.

Anyway, those are my personal thoughts on the software RAID issue. I know many of you will probably disagree with the above, but my experience with software RAID has been a mixed bag and that is not a good thing.

One of the jokes around here is that people run NASLite on things we’ve never heard of before. It would be very difficult to implement stable support for software RAID on on hardware we’ve never heard of before. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

I think one only needs to look at FreeNAS and UnRaid to see how unstable software raid **can** be.

Post subject: Speaking of RAID ...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:27 pm 

As one of the great unwashed, I am anxious not only for NASLite v2, but also (and more importantly) to understand what decisions and options I have to build/configure a high performance server. RAID certainly - but how does one setup v2 RAID .?. PCI/PCI Express RAID controller - ok ... but which one meets the RAID performance expectation at a reasonable price point? A quick Google of eRetailers showed prices and features starting at $17 and up, UP! To the point - with v2 - will there be tutorials, or configuration examples, or equipment recommendations, or minimum requirements to optimize the capabilities? If I said my v2 NASLite server was dedicated to high-definition video streaming, would that lead me down a different decision path than if the server was just for backup or file storage? Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:53 am 

Tony an excelelnt post indeed.

Coincidently one of my rented server just had a hardware disk failure and the host states point blank the array cant be rebuilt becasue its software based.

I think a great many peoples questions can be averted but Server Elements producing a hardware page. On this page should be listed hardware that is know to work and approxiamte costs. A prime candidate will be RAID cards.

Most people that want RAID here know the theory but in order to put it into practice they face a long google-thon and alot of learning. Its not like its a $10 network card purchase that you can live with if it doesnt work.

I would say the absolute best thing that could be done would be to have a community wiki and let the community populate it with information inclduing known hardware.

Just my thoughts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:09 am 

Any word on UPnP on the NAS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:45 pm 

out of curiousity why on earth would you want the UPnP abomination on NASLite?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

Some good SATA RAID related info for those interested enough to read…

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:55 pm 

Because UPnP would allow me to stream my music to other devices without having to boot up another PC to serve the music, videos, etc. Many other NAS devices support this so obviously there is a use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

jmiliz wrote:

NASLite-2 will not support UPnP. A separate product that is based on the NASLite-2 core will support UPnP as well as a number of other media-related technologies. Due to it’s dependency on the NASLite-2 core, the media product will be finalized after NASLite-2 is released. We don’t have a name for it yet, but it’s definitely next in line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:30 pm 

Tony wrote:
jmiliz wrote:

NASLite-2 will not support UPnP. A separate product that is based on the NASLite-2 core will support UPnP as well as a number of other media-related technologies. Due to it’s dependency on the NASLite-2 core, the media product will be finalized after NASLite-2 is released. We don’t have a name for it yet, but it’s definitely next in line.

Funky, is this something like NASLite Professional?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

Sanjiyan wrote:
Funky, is this something like NASLite Professional?

That is it dude ;-)
You are a genius!

What was I thinking... :P