NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:12 pm 

On very first bootup, all same-domain computers running WinXP and Linspire immediately recognized the two Disks of my NASLite server without much ado. Perfect! But then I noticed that I couldn't write to the NAS disks from the Linspire machines, altho the WinXP machines had no such trouble. I planned to use rsync to backup the Linspire (Debian-based) linux machine to my NAS.

The NAS drives are two virgin Maxtor 300 GB 's. Server is at fixed IP of 192.168.0.224 on a decent Fast Ethernet network.

I'm no expert on Samba, NFS, or the various Linux dialects. I have read that I can access those NAS drives with after I do a simple 'mount'. The linspire documentation refers to editing my harddriive.inf file, which appears to contain the parametric definition of the various I/O devices. The /etc/fstab file is a generated file (presumably, from the harddrive.inf file?).

Commands like
smb://192.168.0.224/export/Disk-1
fail with "no such file or directory"

Looks like I have to build from scratch a basic I/O specification of my NAS drives, since Linspire itself doesn't get a chance to properly 'discover' them? Can anyone share with me their similar experience or point me to a helpful reference? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:42 pm 

Mentor,

I have a Win2K box and also a Linspire box and have had no problems with read/write operations on any of them. I am guessing maybe a setting on the Linspire box could be set wrong.
Are you able to read/write to the XP box from the Linspire box?