NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:21 pm 

Hi,

I have been looking for a home NAS solution over the past couple of weeks and came across NASLite+. This product looks fantastic!!! Simple and elegant. Best of all, it allows you to get more mileage from the old PC's lying around the house but delivering better performance than a lot of the off-the-shelf NAS solutions out there for a fraction of the price. Can't wait to try it!!!

I've got a PIII 733MHz (Intel D815EEA motherboard) with 384MB RAM and plan to put a 200GB Segate HD on it. Initially I plan to use the onboard 10/100 NIX but will look at adding a Gigabit NIC, Gigabit switch and Linux server at a later stage.

I have got a few questions and would appreciate any help. Apologies if they have been answered in other posts.

1. Does NASLite+ put the HD into hibernation (HD stop spinning) during long periods of inactivity or does it just continue spinning all the time? I am just wondering about the wear & tear and heat generation?

2. Most of the posts I have seen put the READs slower than the WRITEs? Can anyone explain why?

3. In the event of a power failure during say a backup operation, on reboot, do we have the ability to run a fsck or similar operation on a NASLite disk to cleanup any problems left by the sudden power loss?

Wishlist
a. would love to see the ability to specify simple backup cron job within NASLite, ie. backing up disk-1 to disk-2 on the same server
b. some simple security access to drives or maybe folders (if possible)

Thank you in advance for your help.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:40 am 

Question one: Not that I have seen. Besides, there is more ware and tear on a drive starting and stoping it then just letting it spin.

Question two: It caches the writes and then writes them to disk when the drive has time. Reads are at the leasure of the drive platter and heads being in the right place and time. Make sense?

Question three: It does this automaticaly anyway. It may take quite a while to come up if you have a few large drives.

There should be something there in the 2.0 release to answer your needs and desires but they are being very tight lipped about the features. You could always roll your own.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:18 am 

Hi there,

Question 1 : Not that I have seen.

Question 2: No real need to build on that answer. If you read the posts it seems to centre around write speeds and NIC quality/speed. For me I just stream MP3's and do a nightly Laptop backup (varying size) and I notice no performance diference. If you apply the normality persepective on this issue, you would find that it performs most normal jobs quite happily

Question 3: It will do a scan automatically for oyu each time the NAS server is adnormally terminated. If you do a scan for one of the stick threads someone worked out how to use a UPS with NASLite. Might want to invest the $120(wel, Australian $$$ anyway) for a UPS and used this.

T.