NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: .avi playback
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:54 pm 

question,, i am having trouble playing back .avi,mpg, files from my server, problem is windows media player opens up and says its connecting then nothing happens,, are the files too large at 700Mb? maybe it can`t cope with the file which will playback on the originating computer with no problem at all. it appears the file i`m trying to playback is downloading from the server first before it plays,,, i`d like to stream the file for playback,, any answers please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:14 pm 

I play mpg files from my server and most are >1 gig so I do not think file size is your problem. I had some probs initially with media player not having the proper codecs. Do you have another player to try? My mpg play fine in Nero also.

Post subject: Re: .avi playback
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:32 am 

craigp wrote:
question,, i am having trouble playing back .avi,mpg, files from my server, problem is windows media player opens up and says its connecting then nothing happens,, are the files too large at 700Mb? maybe it can`t cope with the file which will playback on the originating computer with no problem at all. it appears the file i`m trying to playback is downloading from the server first before it plays,,, i`d like to stream the file for playback,, any answers please.

What is your IDE connection and network speed?
When I first started using NASlite I could stream mp3's but ripped dvd's struggled after quite a lot of questions and help from the forums it was decided that I needed at least ATA100 IDE speeds and a 100mbps network connection speed :wink: I have since upgraded the network speeds to gigabit and now stream fully high def movies 8)
The other thing you could try is a different media player try Vlan at http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ it plays any format you throw at it.