NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:50 pm 

I have a program called SageTV (DVR software) that is running on a Windows XP Pro machine. It uses UNC shares to save its video files to. So I have told SageTV to use \\NASVideo1\Disk-1 (dont remember if that is exact syntax) but anyway, I see the video files security is set to a user called NAS-User

The problem is, when I tell SageTV to delete the video files, when I am done watching them, it acts likes its deleting them, but I can see they are still there.

What do I need to do, on the Windows XP machine to delete files from the NASVideo1 computer. I know it must be a NTFS/Permissions/Security problem. I just dont know how to make XP+NASLite happy together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:17 pm 

Does anyone know how to create the same user on an XP box, that would be the equivalent user to the NAS-User account on the Naslite box?

I thought I read on another post that all files are created as NAS-User on the NASLite computer.

So I tried to create a user called NAS-User on the XP Machine, without any password. And then tried to delete files. No Luck.

I tried mapping drives from the XP machine to the NASLite computer, and still no luck. I cant seem to find a way to delete the files from the NASLite box.

There has got to be an easy way. But I cant seem to figure out how to do that. Seems like no matter what I have tried from the Windows XP machine, that I just get error messages about "Permission Denied, or Access Denied"

I cant keep using this product (which would be REAAAAAAAAALY unfortunate) if I cant delete files from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:48 pm 
Site Admin

There is no need to create a user on your XP machine since NASLite doesn’t care who you are. It simply assigns the same user to everyone. The reason you are having problems with NASLite is that your windows machine locks files for use and then fails to unlock them. That is not common, but may occur with some applications that tend to be sloppy with the filesystem and leave without cleaning after themselves. ;-)

In order to verify, reboot XP and connect to NASLite via FTP using IE or equivalent. See if you can kill the problem files that way. I assume that the only problems you are having is with the app that you described in the earlier post. If that is the case then the above acessment is in fact correct.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:19 am 

I use NASLite+ for USB with SageTV on XP Pro and it works flawlessly. There must be somehting odd about your configuration.

I'm running Sage under one of my XP users, not as a service. I don't know if this matters or not, but at least it's a place to start.

Post subject: SageTV
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:42 am 

Thanks for the tip about using SageTV. I am not quite sure why my config isnt allowing me to delete files when using the SageTV interface.

I can use SageTV to delete the movie files on every server except the NASLite + USB server.

I will try to reboot the sagetv server, and then try to delete the files using sagetv.

If that doesnt work, I will try to reboot the sagetv server again, and use ftp client as you pointed out.

I hope to get it working, because I would like to have at least 3 naslite+ servers running as files servers, for all my video files

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:27 am 

Stupid question I know but ... is your NASLite+ server set to use the same workgroup as the machine running SageTV? If they are not the same I think you will have problems.