NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:28 pm 

We had some storms this evening while we were away and the house lost power for a period of time. Everything went down, including the NASbox which contains one 200 gig hard drive (as Disk-1) and one 300 gig hard drive (as Disk-2).

I rebooted the NASbox from the USB and it booted fine. When it gets to "Disk-1 - Found partition", it stops. There is constant hard drive activity (the drive activity light is on and stays on solidly) for about 8 minutes so far. Disk-1 is mostly full; about 45 megs free.

After a while, it moved past that step! It said "Disk-1 - Attempting to fix filesystem" and then it mounted like normal (successfully). It's now working on Disk-2, so I'll check after that finishes to make sure everything is okay.

The "Attempting to fix filesystem" message should come up sooner, and progress information would be most welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:45 am 

Drew,

What you witnessed was "expected behaviour". This will happen EVERY time the NAS box is halted abnormally. I see your point that some status message would be nice, but if you are talking aobut 1/2 a terra I'd think aobut going to make a few cups of Coffee. It will take some time.

T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:01 pm 

Thanks for the information, Timmay... I was a little freaked out by the lack of informational messages, but now that it's working fine, I've calmed down.

I still believe that the "Attempting to fix filesystem" message should come up sooner, and progress information would be most welcome.

Post subject: Power outage
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:20 pm 

Hi
I had a simillar situation but in my case the drive did not mount
What next?
If I have to recover what do you recomend?

Info is verry inportant.

Carlos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:15 pm 

I have used the rlinux program on Windows to recover data. It is a free program available for download here:
http://www.data-recovery-software.net/Linux_Recovery_Download.shtml

You have to move your NASLite drive to a windows machine and then run rlinux to copy the data to another drive. Then put the drive back in your NASLite machine.

After recovering data you have to configure/format the drive again in NASLite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:07 am 

smeyer wrote:
I have used the rlinux program on Windows to recover data.
You have to move your NASLite drive to a windows machine and then run rlinux to copy the data to another drive. Then put the drive back in your NASLite machine.

Yes, this works, but be aware, that rlinux (or similar recovery utils) may not handle international characters in filenames correctly. This could create the odd problem down the road, if there is linking for example. Furthermore, I seem to recall having run into truncation issues with such utils as well, if the directory and filenames get to be very long. Just something to be aware of. (A note of comfort: my HDD problems were NOT related to NASLite, but due to faulty cables.).
Regards,
Thorsten Indra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:48 am 

Hi
I was able to recover (remount) the drive, I just followed the "2fsck" (i think that is the name) steps an after a continious presing of yyyyyyyy it booted, entered the admin menu rebooted and there it was with all my precious files .

I dint even remember how I did it to get there , but to me what matters is that I got the files back.

Now the question is, what backup program would you recomend? is there anyone that would backup a network (ei NASlite disk) drive to a network drive?

Thanks
Carlos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:52 am 

sotoperez wrote:
Now the question is, what backup program would you recomend? is there anyone that would backup a network (ei NASlite disk) drive to a network drive?

Thanks
Carlos

Hi,
I have come to learn, that no matter what computer hard- or software you are running, a current backup is absolutely essential, since nobody is exempt from the possibility of failure (this can come in various flavours).
A friend had recommended "Allsync" to me, and having compared quite a number of backup solutions, I have found this to the very best! http://www.allsync.de/en_index.htm I have been using it for some years now.
It is feature rich like no other, intelligently designed, with excellent support, very well documented, and - very important! - higly automatable. I can only recommend a combination of NASLite with Allsync. It will take some thinking and planning to map out and setup a good strategy, but it will be worth it.
Thorsten Indra