NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:01 am 

Hello DaveJ45:

Fair enough ... and I actually must admit I haven't personaly used DiskWriggler myself. What I have done is to transfer some large files (5+ GB) to (and from) the NASLite and using a stopwatch and calculator to compute an approximate MB/sec throughput performance. DiskWriggler has been suggested and used by other forum members, and would be more appropriate and accurate, but I did not feel the need for it.

My network is purely 100Mb/s and my throughput matched most reports. ( I hate to quote the actual numbers, because I don't have them committed to memory, and I don't have access to the info during this business trip. I seem to recall about a 85% utilization of network bandwidth, or 100 Mb/s x 85% = 85Mb/s = 10.625MB/s (assuming 8 bits per Byte, although some people still use a start and stop bit making it 10bits/Byte to allow for transmission protocol overhead). And that's the maximum theoretical write speed (it gets buffered on the disk and is achievable). Read performance is a little slower. Realistically it turns out to be about 9MB/s write, 7MB/s read.

Thanks for your helpful hints ... and if you get around to measuring (maybe like I did) an actual approximate before/after throughput, let us know.

:) Georg