NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:57 am 

Can more than one computer use the same file at once? Such as an mp3, or MPEG can it be play'ng on more than one computer on the LAN at once? or any other file or folder?

I had an SC101 and it worked fine but the Netgear file system scared me. I was concerned that if the SC101 went out my discs would be unreadable. I think this is a perfect way to resolve that posibility, if I have the software and my computer lays down. I can build another or repair it and use the drives and still see and save the data on them, Correct?

Can I install a removable disc tray and use a disc for removable backups? I figure I would do a full backup weekly and swap discs each week, or something like that so that I have a full backup that is not connected to the system. Is this do'able?
Thanks, Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:57 pm 

I'll try to answer your questions in the order you asked.

Yes, there is no file locking or exclusion feature on NASLite. There may be a limit as to how many connections a file can have, but it's likely bigger than the number of computers you have.

If you build a 2nd NASLite system, the drives are transportable between systems. You will of course have to power down to change drives. There are even programs you can install that will allow you to read NASLite formatted data on drives in a Windows machine. I think one is called rlinux.

Yes, there are several people on the forum that have removable drive trays. Again you would have to power down when changing drives since IDE is not hot pluggable and the drives need to be parked before being moved.