NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:40 pm 

The only thing I have to backup is really to store a central collection of media. I then have several UpnP AV compliant devices in the house to access this media.

I want to use NASLite and Twonkyvision. Does anyone do this successfully today?

Could you install NASLite on 1 box and then Twonky on a separate box directed to only use the NASLite media? Would this work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:18 am 

Yep..you can do that. I have all my media on the NAS box and run twonky from my pc and wirelessly stream it to my D Link DM 320 media player upstairs in the lounge room.. Apart from maybe hardwiring the 320 in at some later stage so that movies dont stutter (onlybecause of the several walls and floors in between) it all works fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:46 am 

I have been looking for an answer to this as well. I would like to run a Upnp server on the NASLite+ (don't want to have to run 2 PcC's). Is this a major undertaking to get this to work? I have posted in the twonkyvision board as well and still no answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:24 am 

I'd be very interested in this idea working too should anyone find the answer :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:46 pm 

I'm also very interested in a solution for that problem. I want to run my NASLite Server and want to have access to that files on the NASLite System with a installed UPNP Server on it.
I'm running in the moment the Twonkyvision Server on a WindowsXP Machine and access to the files on the NASLite wiht a NOXON (1.Generation). It works well !

But I do not want to run two PC's for listening to the music on a 3.System (NOXON).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:54 pm 

Still no answer to this. Seems someone familiar with NASLite or Twonkyvision should know if this is possible or not and what is involved. I mean is this a major undertaking to allow twonkyvision to run on NASLite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:24 am 

Personally I think Serverelements are missing a trick here, a version of NASlite with Twonkyvision media would sell in the home cinema market for sure.
Twonkyvision for those that haven't heard of it http://www.twonkyvision.de is a media serving software that supports a lot of the hardware available for playing stored MP3's, digital photos, camcorder footage, ripped dvd's etc. All of these systems normally require a PC with Windows or similar running somewhere else on the network with their own server software installed. Because Twonkyvision supports most of the equipment available to date and can be installed on devices with small bespoke OS's very similar to NASlite you only need to have one media server running for any device that supports UPnP.

I have no linux experience at all except for NASlite and let's be honest all I have to do with that is switch the PC on :lol:

But Twonkyvision can be installed on things like the Buffalo Terrastation and that runs a linux based OS of sorts so I'd have thought logically it could work with NASlite.

Question;
Would people be prepared to pay again for a media serving version of NASlite that would enable you to have network connected (wireless supported) media players all pulling the files from a centrally stored server :?:

I for one definately would, even though I've just renewed my licence for NASlite+. :wink:

For example you could put a Netgear MP101 in your kitchen or a ROKU M1000 in the study/den/office to listen to your MP3's. A Pinnacle showcentre in the lounge so you can show your friends the photos from the weekend's skiing trip you all went on all streamed from the Server. 8)

Tony if you check out some of the threads on http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php
There is a huge market for a simple server based media distribution OS and the NASlite structure lends itself perfectly. Anyone with Ipod's (would need a homepod), the Roku M1000/2000, the Buffalo Linktheatre, the Philips streamium etc etc plus all the HTPC owners are potential customers.

I know some guys who are in the Home cinema industry in the UK and digital media is the way it's going and it's not just the £30,000 home cinema installs now that are demanding streamed media it's anyone who has a digital camera and an ipod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:36 am 

I've read the message of Wilbur, and now im glad, that the question is a gernal question and it will be interessting for a lot of users.
My NASLite Server run's perfect, and i think, that the combination between the NASLite, and TWONKY would be a perfect solution for a lot of users !
I hope that we will get a solution for this in the next time.

Many thanks to TONY, for making it real. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:59 am 

I'll bump this back up as I still have not found an answer.
Could one of the mods give a quick reply to this topic? I just want to know if running a media server such as Twonkyvision is even possible on NasLite+. If not then fine, and I will quit thinking about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:55 pm 

Tony,

Are you able to give us any info regards implementing Twonkyvision into NASlite?

Also how about a few pointers as to what Vers 2.0 will contain :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:17 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Tony,

Are you able to give us any info regards implementing Twonkyvision into NASlite?

Also how about a few pointers as to what Vers 2.0 will contain

Nice try :)

Let's keep in mind that the primary purpose of NASLite is to be a NAS server. Tentatively, among other improvements, NASLite-2 "may" include:
    - Support for IDE/SATA/USB/FireWire attached fixed disks
    - Support for multiple IDE/SATA/USB/FireWire controllers
    - Support for LOTS of drives (If you can interface and power them, then NASLite can mount, configure and export them ;-))
    - Support for ext2 and ext3
    - Rsync exports
    - ACPI power support
    - Much improved autoconfiguration process
    - Much improved and expanded Info interface
    - Lots of new configuration options
    - Lots of tweaks
    - Lots of new code
    - A bunch more...

There is a lot of new code that needs attention, and may not even make it in the initial release. Again, this is all tentative, so please take the above list loosely.

UPnP support will not be built into NASLite, but is being handled by another Server Elements product currently in development.

That's all I can share at this time. Thanks for asking Wilbur ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:04 am 

Thanks Tony for the information.
To you have already a time table, when the new nas lite-2 version and the "other Product" which will support upnp, is planed to be released ?

Many thanks for your information :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:15 pm 

itching to know myself about "NASlite v2" and the "Other Product"

are we talkin days, weeks, or months

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:45 am 

Returning to the question of streaming audio and video from a NASLite box, if you just want to listen to music, then the Accoustic Energy wi-fi radio does the trick. It will play mp3s from any shared folder on a network, including NAS devices, so you don't need to have a PC running. It works perfectly with my NASLite box built out of a very old Pentium 90 machine! And you can plug the AE wi-fi radio into your hi-fi for full stereo sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:52 pm 

I would gladly pay for a version that would run a UPNP media server.
I am currently running NASLite+ and am extremely happy with the product, it absolutely runs trouble free, I also have another PC running the media server, the money I would save in electricity alone would probably pay for the new product. An absolute hit would be
1) The functionality and stability of today's NASLite
2) A UPNP media server built in
3) An ftp server built in

The above are the three functions that I am using today through two PC's

If Server Elements releases a product or two that work together on the same PC and they are as stable as NASLite, I will pay for them, GLADLY