NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:10 am 

My choice for server is:
* Duron 800
* 10/100 Linksys NIC
* 512 Meg Ram
* On board Video
* CD Rom
Available are:

Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G
Linksys Wireless Adapter
Pc #1 ECS K7s5A with 512 Meg Ram
PC #2 ECS PM800-M2 with 512 Ram
XP on both machines
CD Burners on both machines

My questions are:

1) Will the server connect directly to the network and will it be connected to the router?

2) Will I wire the closest PC to the server ( rather than using a wirelss adapter) and use the wireless adapter for the PC that is remote (upstairs)

3) Will my programes be on the server ( MS Office, etc) and will they be served up to each computer as required.

4) Will each PC still have its copy of XP

5) Will NAS Lite save data from both PC's to the drive on the server ( which I plan to purchase)

I beleive the answer is yes to all of the above but I wanted to be clear on this before starting.

6) Which is preferred one lage drive say 200 Gig or two smaller drives say 2 by 100 Gig

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:55 am 

clemkonan wrote:
My choice for server is:
* Duron 800
* 10/100 Linksys NIC
* 512 Meg Ram
* On board Video
* CD Rom
Available are:

Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G
Linksys Wireless Adapter
Pc #1 ECS K7s5A with 512 Meg Ram
PC #2 ECS PM800-M2 with 512 Ram
XP on both machines
CD Burners on both machines

My questions are:

1) Will the server connect directly to the network and will it be connected to the router?

2) Will I wire the closest PC to the server ( rather than using a wirelss adapter) and use the wireless adapter for the PC that is remote (upstairs)

3) Will my programes be on the server ( MS Office, etc) and will they be served up to each computer as required.

4) Will each PC still have its copy of XP

5) Will NAS Lite save data from both PC's to the drive on the server ( which I plan to purchase)

I beleive the answer is yes to all of the above but I wanted to be clear on this before starting.

6) Which is preferred one lage drive say 200 Gig or two smaller drives say 2 by 100 Gig

You have a good basic spec for your NASlite server, here's my answers to your questions, someone else may have other ideas as the saying goes "there's more than one way to skin a rabbit"

First thing I'd like to ask is your Network already set up? If not see answer 2) and forget wireless, you don't want a dropped connection in the middle of a backup or whilst trying to stream a movie etc. If it is already set up make sure you put an unused ip address in the same range, the correct subnet and the same workgroup name as your other pc's then your NAS will show up in the "view network computers" which is on the left panel in "my network places"

1) Connect your server directly to your router which will make the server available on the network.

2) If your going to go wireless I would wire the pc's your going to use the most into the router on the network, all your wired pc's should be connected to the router and not some to the router and some to each other. Wireless link the one where running cables is impossible. I don't think NASlite supports wireless nic's and anyway you definitely want the server hard wired, from experience IMHO if you can get an ethernet cable to a PC then do so. :wink:

3) NASlite is a file server, think of it as an external drive that is connected to the network and can then be shared by each computer on the network, any programs you want to run have to be installed on the relevant workstation pc's, store all your data on the NAS and point the various programmes to the corresponding folder containing the data.

4) Each pc on your network will still keep its operating system you don't have to change any of that and if you already have the network running all you have to do on each pc is map the drive.

5) Naslite doesn't actually do the saving it just hosts the drives and makes them available, the drives on NASlite show up on your PC as another drive in the format of "Disk 1" "Disk 2" etc you just map the drive in "my computer" and it shows up there, you can add new folders and shortcuts to specific folders as you would in any normal explorer environment. As an example most backup programs including Windows own version allow you to specify a folder to backup to, you just browse to DISK 1 and make a new folder called "backup" and thats where Windows will save the data.

With version 1.* the usual RAID advantage of 2 smaller drives is not applicable because NASlite doesn't support RAID, vers 2.0 might support it, I have a 400GB, a 300GB and a 200GB drive in my NAS, if I could've got a 1TB drive for reasonable money I'd have put that in. Up to 300GB the bigger the drive the less £$€ whatever :wink: per GB so my advice is buy the biggest you can afford.

So for

6) Buy a 200GB drive

What do you plan to use your NAS for? If you need any other help this forum is the place, best forum on the net IMHO 8)
Hope the above has helped.
Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:31 pm 

1) Yes my network is up and running

2) I do have a wireless network adapter and a router

3) I had no idea as to why I would want a sever, I was about to junk my Duron when I came across an article and went " Wow what a great idea" . Now I want to store all my pictures, backups for 4 users , etc and hunt for more interesting applications.

I will review your commnets in details to make sure I understand everything

Thanks again