NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:53 am 

I created a new 'boot from CD' server from an old Sony Vaio PC this weekend. Installed 2 Seagate 400Gb drives. Initial setup was straightforward, apart from some difficulty creating the Floppy config disk. I powered down and removed the monitor and keyboard and installed the box in my wiring closet. The box is connected to a wireless gateway router connected to my Comcast cable modem. Since I had not changed the default IP for the server, I changed the IP for the router (initially both were 192.168.1.1) If the box is connected to the router, other PCs on my net cannot access the internet, although they can see the server disks (on my internal workgroup). If I disconnect it, internet access returns. Any idea what's happening?

Also, what is the right way to shut down the server once it's 'headless'? I did it using the power switch by mistake and it went into a very long file check on restart, and I'm sure that isn't right. I couldn't see a way to do it from another PC.

Any help would be appreciated! I'm afraid I know nothing at all about linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:13 pm 

I'd change the router ip address back to what it was and alter the NAS ip address connect the NAS up to a monitor and keyboard for this and note the ip address, ensure none of the other pc's are using that address at the time.

Once it's back in the closet on its own you'll need to Telnet into the NAS box from your other pc to change any settings and to reboot or shut down.
Assuming your other pc is running Windows XP go "start" then "run" then type "telnet ***.***.***.***" * been the ip address of the NAS, you should then see the console, log in as normal and perform the functions you need, when shutting down follow the onscreen directions but then you'll have to manually go and turn off the power to the unit once you get the "telnet disconnected" message :wink:

If you do a straight forward power off NASlite runs a disk checking procedure before remounting the drives and it can take a while, especially with 800Gb of HDD 8)
Good Luck and any problems post back

Post subject: Telnet
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:10 pm 

Thanks! I will give that a try. (It's just a pain getting the box in and out of the closet!)

I *did* try telnetting to the server once it was on the net, to shut it down, but I got a message something like 'Unable to connect' with a mention of, I think, Port 23. I could get to the server's web pages using http, but I couldn't find a way to admin from there. I assume there isnt one. :?