NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:27 pm 

I have PII PC given to me from a friend- 192+/- meg of RAM with 3x 250GB Fujitsu HDD's. 750GB of storage. Bought them for about $70 each. So $210+$25 for NASLite+ = $235 for a 3/4 terabyte SMB server. Great Value!

So with SMB working, I back up all the other PC's to 1 drive with SynBackSE and then it backs up that drive to 1 of the other ones. In essence it is a backup of the backup on 2 HDD's. Works Great!

I then have a softmodded XBOX running Xbox Media Center (XBMC) connected to my HD TV and surround sound system via wired ethernet. I can play full DVD movies (that I own) from ISO images created with a variety of tools such as DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. This is kind of like my own On-Demand Movie Server. I can play all kinds of music and see photos on the biggest picture frame in the house. Plus I can also play video games as you'd expect. Great Versatility!

I can also simultaneously watch another movie on a PC and play music on another PC. Very Powerful!

This has been running 100% for 2 months now.

I originally asked why store if you can't stream- NasLite answered my needs.

Great product. Recommended to all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:46 pm 

With the help of this forum and a member named Eden, I now successfully after much effort, got the USB version to work. This then frees up another spot on my cabel previously taken by the CDROM. With another $70, I will have 1 total Terabyte of storage for approx. $300.

Incredible.

BTW- my PII is 266mhz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:01 pm 

I have the same setup for the kids. They use their xbox for games and streaming movies / music. Works great