NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unicode Support?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:46 pm 

Just installed NASLite+, and found that Chinese filenames got clobbered after copying.

I have a lot of Chinese MP3 and webpages with Chinese filenames. In XP, using Windows Explorer or my file manager of choice, Directory Opus, I have no problems displaying or moving around these files.

Is there a way to configure NASLite+ to support Unicode, or it this going to be a limitation with NASLite+ or the underlying Linux? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:05 pm 
Hi pschan,

http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/vi ... 10b27f702e

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:48 am 

Hmm... that's just too bad. I really like the program. But Unicode is essential to me. Guess it has to be Plan B then...

Just curious, if anyone can enlighten me, is lack of Internalization an inherent limitation with Linux also? I was thinking of off-the-shelf NAS boxes such as those from Linksys or Buffalo, I believe most of these are based on Linux. TIA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:15 am 
Site Admin

Linux is fully capable of internationalization, however the necessary content is rather bulky and in most cases goes largely unused. In the context of NASLite Unicode support via SAMBA can be facilitated with the associated code pages, but that will have pretty nasty side effects on all other protocols sharing the same content.

The only way to do it cleanly is to support it in full or not at all.

One workaround is to create a virtual file system and loop-mount it on the host machine. OS X and UNIX can do that, but not sure of Windows. Third-party apps will surely allow Windows to do that.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:21 pm 

Thanks Tony and Eden for all the info. I do understand the need to keep NASLite+ small, no, I mean tiny. That bit of creating virtual file system and loop-mounting it is way over my head. So this NASLite+ box is going to stay as a non-Unicode server then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:17 pm 

I love NASLite because:

1. Fast Fast FAST
2. No hard drive install required (floppy, cd, usb)
3. No Linux knowledge required... just boot, set a few options and go

Like the original poster, I also have Chinese filenames. So I realize that version 2.0 is coming... and I know the goals of the project are to keep it floppy-size-small... but is there any chance that there will be a CD or USB version (larger than a floppy) that will have support for Unicode & internationalization? I would be more than willing to pay for this option.

If someone can tell me if I will not be getting this feature in 2.0, I would appreciate it. Then I can go and come to grips with the fact that I will have to use one of the lesser (IMO) options out there.

I am already using FreeNAS because of this but I really want to go back to using NASLite. I don't need RAID or any of the other rumored features of NASLite 2.0 (but I value the work being done to get them in).

And once again, NASLite rocks. Just wondering if it will ever rock my filenames. Thanks for all the work guys.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:34 am 

freeNAS can support unicode verywell. I can see all my chinese file names without problem.

The samba and pure-ftpd can support UTF-8 and gb2312 without problem.
as long as the kernal support the unicode, samba and ftp charset can always
be configured through webgui.

I think the NasLite can do the same thing.

I do not think to support unicode will make the kernel bulky.
becasue the whole kernal of freeNAS is about 30+ Mbytes only.