NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:40 am 

OK, So I have recently just got my first NASLite+USB computer up and running with 3 hard drives. I started recording videos to it (using my SageTV recording software)

I noticed the timestamps on the files dont seem to match the *real* local time. For instance If I changed a text file on the NASLite computer, and saved it. I can see the timestamp update. So if its local time 9am today, the NASlite box shows the time at 3AM same day.

Im just a little concerned that I need to change something to make time match what all my other computers are using. Just thinking it might cause *wierd* problems between the SageTV server who is creating the files, and the NASLite+USB computer that is saving files. The time difference may screw up watching/managing all the video recording.

SaveTV software makes a *client side* piece of software for watching movies, browsing the Program Guide, etc. ANd it has a setting to synch up its time with the server time. So in the whole network, the only machine that wouldnt be *synching up* would be the NASLIte+USB

Anybody have some thoughts on this?

I would like to have timestamps on all files on NASLite+ match up to the real local time. And not UTC time, which is what I think its doing.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:27 am 

From the Administration Utility:

" NASLite date and time must be set to Coordinated Universal Time, also known as Greenwich Time. Setting to local time will result in incorrect file
timestamps."

Just choose #6 in the Utility and set to UTC. I didn't even realize this until I read your post- mine was set for local time. :oops:

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:00 am 

mickeysweb wrote:
From the Administration Utility:

" NASLite date and time must be set to Coordinated Universal Time, also known as Greenwich Time. Setting to local time will result in incorrect file
timestamps."

Just choose #6 in the Utility and set to UTC. I didn't even realize this until I read your post- mine was set for local time. :oops:

Mark

I guess I dont really understand this. I want my files to be created in my local time zone. So if I tell my SageTV to record at 3pm that the file timestamp says created at 3pm.

Are you saying that this isnt possible :) I just dont understand why I cant use local timestamps

Hopefully someone can explain this to me. All my other file servers are Windoze right now, and they show my local time/date when shows are recorded. I didnt think this would be any kind of an issue using NASLite+...
maybe I am just not understanding correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:22 pm 

steingra wrote:

I guess I dont really understand this. I want my files to be created in my local time zone. So if I tell my SageTV to record at 3pm that the file timestamp says created at 3pm.

They will be. Try this:
With the NASLite box set to your local time, create a new text file on the network drive. It will have an incorrect timestamp- offset by whatever your timezone is. Now set the time on the NASLite box with your timezone offset (mine is Eastern so I add 5 hours). Now create a new text document again and this time it will show the proper timestamp. Hope that helps.

Mark